musician needs help building computer based DAW...

mpthreer

Can anybody throw a quick layout of products that would do as good of a recording job as the roland VS-2480CD, but for a computer. I can build a computer just for sound needs that should run pretty quiet, plus 160 gigs worth of hard disk space with a sata raid controller and >3 ghz processing power with 2 gigs of pc3200 ram... i just need to know a reptuable sound card that would work with a good I/O adapter. I need at least 8 xlr inputs and hopefully sixteen hi-z (quarter inch) inputs. On this computer setup, I would like to get a rack of good hardware effects, and mic preamps, a power conditioner or two, an exciter, a good eq, headphone amps, an automated mixer, and a direct box. I've been reading a lot of good stuff about Cubase SX and cool edit, please let me know some good software and a little about what it does (ex. mastering, recording, and so on).

The main thing i need to know, is about a good soundcard, an i/o adapter thats 24-bit/96kHz, a good mixing console with automated faders, mabe some tips on how to keep my computers audio "noise free", and some good software, and anything else specific to computer recording that i am overseeing.......

your help will be very much appricated, for im very concerned about where i put an amount of $$ like that haha! :)

Back