multitasking

dobro

So, it turns out I can't run the same file on both Fruity Loops and Cool Edit at the same time - I have to close one down before the file will run on the other one. Cummmmmmmmmmmmbersome.

Is this because of my soundcard? Yes my soundcard is full duplex, but that's not the same as multitasking, right? Or is it something other than the soundcard? And if it is the soundcard :D, do Delta cards multitask?

So many questions, so little time...

Can your car and your friend's car share the same wheel at the same time??? No, two programs >usually< can't share the same data file at the same time. Just make a copy of it and have each program access a different copy.

It has nothing to do with your soundcard.

Sorry Dobro. It really isn't possible. One program can't usually tell that a file has been updated by another. Also Windows doesn't usually allow it for system stability reasons.

This is why most experienced users will have a program like Cubase, Logic, SONAR etc which have all the features in the one package so they can edit everything as they work without the need to switch programs etc.

If you need to do serious waveform editing then you will just need to put up with editing separately in each package.

The above posts are correct. However, your real problem CEP. I'm less and less impressed with CEP the more I hear about it.

I tested this out with n-Track. I created a little beat in fruity loops, and then exported the beat. I opened the exported file in n-Track and made sure that it was correct. Then I changed the beat in fruity, and exported to the same file that n-Track already had open (i left n-Track and Fruity open the whole time of course). I clicked play in n-Track and voila, it played the updated wave, without any intervention. Then I opened the wave in Wavelab and cut out a good hunk of it and hit the save button. I went back to n-Track (which still open) and clicked play; like magic it played the updated file.

If this wasn't possible, it sure would be hard to use external editors in multitracking applications. So my bet is on CEP, since it claims to be both a full purpose editor and a multitracker. In fact, some people use CEP as their editor in other multitracking apps.

n-Track doesn't leave files open. It reads them directly from disk when it draws waveforms, and when you hit play. This is how multitrackers should work. Now if I have a file open in Wavelab and try to export that same file from Fruity, it certainly doesn't work.

Anyway, this all applies if you described your situation properly. You refered to your soundcard several times, and I think the term you're looking for is "multiclient."

Multiclient: the ability for a soundcard's drivers to allow multiple applications to open the soundcard at the same time. In other words, you can click play in two applications and you'll hear the mixed output of both. This is especially handy in applications that lock the soundcard, like n-Track and many audio applications. The Delta has multiclient drivers.

Full-duplex: a soundcard that is able to record and play at the same time.

Multitasking: running more than one application at the same time. Windows of course gives you the power to do this, but as was stated above, you can't have two applications writing to the same file at the same time.

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks, everyone. That sorts that out.

Slack, I'm going to verify this with Syntrillium, but if what you say is true, then I'll get nTracks for working with beats. I'm really enjoying playing with Fruity, by the way. I'm gonna give your recent stuff another listen and see how much of what you did I can figure out. You're not using Acid, are you?

Of course, the real problem here is that by trying to work on the same data with two programs at once, you risk ripping a hole in the time-space continum.

Fuck, really? And WHO KNOWS what might choose to pop through that hole into this dimension... I wonder if it could play good bass guitar though...

Anyway, I contacted Syntrillium about this, and they were dubious about Slack's report of having three applications up and working on the same file simultaneously. As for me, I'm dubious about Syntrillium. :D But let's check - were ALL THREE apps open and working on the same file at the same time?

Anyway, I've been curious about n-Track for a long time, and this looks like the excuse I've been waiting for. And what does it cost? Something like $60? I owe it to myself, right?

RWhite said:
Of course, the real problem here is that by trying to work on the same data with two programs at once, you risk ripping a hole in the time-space continum.

Och... don't worry about that ... the space time continuom is easy to repair!;)

Ok Dobro, I knew you'd get that response and sort of wonder if I knew what the heck I was talking about. So, here's pic:

http://www.slackmaster2000.com/ntrackfruity.jpg

This is a snip of a file called untitled2.wav open in n-Track, and me rendering to the same exact file in fruity loops.

Now, as soon as the n-Track screen regains focus, n-Track updates the track view. In other words, I change the file in Fruity and then when I switch back to n-Track it says "recalculating peak file" or something, and redraws the waveform. Simple as that.

This isn't magic or anything crazy, n-Track simple doesn't leave files open when it's not actually reading or writing them.

For a second I thought maybe n-Track was simply special this way, but I tried it in Vegas as well:

http://www.slackmaster2000.com/vegasfruity.jpg

Of course in this pic you can't see which file Vegas has open, but take my word for it, it's the same file that fruity is rendering. Vegas also updates the track view when it regains focus.

Slackmaster 2000

I'm convinced, but I was convinced before. :D

Gee, I wish I could do that 'post a screenshot' thing. Coooool. Things with circles and arrows for highlighting. How come the second file's so much bigger than the first instance? What were you up to?

Dobro,

The "Print Screen" key is quite magical :) Combine that with a simple paint program and you're on your way to impressing the world!

Slackmaster 2000

Back