Multiple soundcards questions and Audigy

Yasoo

I have a Mia Midi (pci soundcard) and a Lexicon Omega (USB soundcard) working for using recording software on the same Windows XP computer. However, for a currently unknown reason, the sound from a video game installed on the same computer doesn't work right. So I bought a Sound Blaster Audigy LS (I have good results using Creative soundcards for video games) that I thought I'd use for the game. The first step in the quickstart install guide for the Audigy tells me to remove all other soundcards and uninstall any other sound card drivers. I emailed Creative to get some details about what the issues are and initial response from them is "We regret to tell you that you can't install 2 sound cards in 1 system. It's not supported."

Not sure what the response means since I have installed 2 sound cards in 1 system. In fact, Windows XP is designed such that I can select which sound card I want to use for standard playback and voice playback.

** If you have any useful info, I would appreciate the feedback.
Thanks!

Anyone with knowledge of Audigy LS? Is it lack of proper design or a policy of not providing support when other soundcards are involved?

They are hedging their bets. You can do it provided there isn't a card in the system that uses the same driver, but on-board Creative soundblasters are actually rare these days. However, the Soundblaster series are renowned resource hogs and they could - only could - cause glitches with your pro cards even when not in use. You could use windows Hardware Profiles feature - Have the Audigy enabled in one profile for games and disabled in another for Audio. Still, do try using it enabled to begin with, it will give you a midi port and the hardware Soundfont player.

You're quite right to take this approach as pro cards do not have the EAX and similar acceleration features for games - I use a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz for this and don't have a problem.

Back