Multiple Output Box.

Dj Yak Man

Hi. I'm looking for a device to have a high number of 1/4" outputs from my computer so they can all be processed and eq'ed seperately through a hardware mixer and such, for mixing off of my computer. I thought buying a whole bunch of really expensive soundcards would be the only way to accomplish it, but then considered posting around with this idea. Does anyone know if it would be possible to make and wire up a box with a whole bunch of outputs, that could connect to a computer through something like a PCI card or maybe even USB, then have a home made program written to allow Cubase to recognize the outputs within its interface? (much like how it would recognize the outputs if it were an installed recording soundcard/interface). If anyone has any information about this, and/or would like to be a part of it, please email me at ijustateyoufordinner@hotmail.com.

-Ian

You could ask around in The Lab but, unless you've got some serious gray matter above your shoulders, you would be hard pressed to build your own multi D/A unit, write drivers for it and come up with an interface protocol and mechanics to utilize it with a computer.
Much easier to just buy a pro multi-channel D/A.

Buy an HD24 and an RME 9652. $1500 or less total on the used market and then its all done nice and slick for you:)

I know what a soundcard is moron. If you're just going to post to try to make me feel like an idiot, do something that would make anyone feel like an idiot and talk about your homelife. Fuck off.

Chill out dude! You did ask a strange question and the answer is, yes, that is what a sound card is. Tell us what your budget is and we can point you to some good ones. If I thought I'd be able to find Xstatic's recommendations at that kinda price in the UK, I wouuld jump at it. :)

Dj Yak Man said:
I know what a soundcard is moron. If you're just going to post to try to make me feel like an idiot, do something that would make anyone feel like an idiot and talk about your homelife. Fuck off.

I believe I said "PRO" soundcard, moron. And if you ask the question you did phrased like it was, then apparently you DON'T know about them. Many who come to this board don't, and like you, they ask questions before doing any research on the board, which is what I politely suggested you do.

I wasn't going to talk about my homelife because I promised yer sister I wouldn't tell everyone that she's better in the sack than yer mama.

Dj Yak Man said:
Hi. I'm looking for a device to have a high number of 1/4" outputs from my computer
-Ian
What's a "high number."

A Delta 1010 will give you a breakout box with 8 input and 8 output 1/4" connections connected via cable to a PCI card in your computer.

It also will provide a midi in/out and SPDIF as well.

If you need more than 8, you can always use 2 of them.

Excuse me, I left out the pro out. Dear heavens. I must not know what I'm talking about. I know what they fucking are. I don't feel like buying a needless supply of them, and was merely hoping doing something like this would be a cheaper alternative. I was not looking to start anything with any pretentious forum watchers. I just wanted a little goddamn help or a "polite" answer (which APPEARENTLY you gave but I beg to differ) I guess some message boards are better left unused because of people like you.

And obviously you did not read the post well enough, because you assumed I was talking about a "PRO soundcard". Never did I mention making inputs at all. I wanted strictly outputs. When's the last time you saw a "PRO soundcard" with no inputs and say 30 outputs? Ass.

Dude, chill the fuck right out.

Loads of cards have equal numbers of inputs and outputs, but if they don't, they always err on the side of extra outputs.

M-Audio Delta 410 is what you're looking for, in case you haven't used the search function to find that out yet! :)

Dj Yak Man said:
I just wanted a little goddamn help or a "polite" answer...

I don't think you should be giving speeches about politeness.

People offered help and you ignored it or didn't take any time to explain yourself further. You posted on this BBS to get some answers, but when people start wanting to help you, you get all craptacular.

Chillax.

So how many outputs do you need? How many inputs? The solution I offered earlier in this thread covered 26 outputs:)

I seem to remember a time when this site was inhabited by friendly and helpful folks that could reply even to the mundane and inexperienced like human beings.

dachay2tnr is excluded of course when I say, guys...you have a lot to learn about being people before attempting to become techs or musicians.

Dj Yak Man, welcome to the site. Hope ya find what you're looking for.

Unless you're enrolled at MIT, it does make more sense to invest in a production piece rather than try to "build sumthin' from scratch" :D

What kind of budget are you working with, and what equipment do you have already?

Rick

guys...you have a lot to learn about being people before attempting to become techs or musicians

that's pretty unfair. as always, xstatic, crakz and dachay have given their advice which is most useful ( i know cause its helped me many a time). As far as the sarcasm and bs, the OP doesn't mind voicing his comments either.

really, crankz answered the quesiton from the beginning. the question was if one could use something other than a soundcard to export audio from cubase to an external device for processing. the answer was, unless you know how to program drivers and software, then probably not.

the delta 1010 probably the best choice in terms of cost ( ibelieve the op wanted to have the lowest cost). but any multi output card that can be chained would work just fine

minofifa said:
that's pretty unfair. as always, xstatic, crakz and dachay have given their advice which is most useful ( i know cause its helped me many a time). As far as the sarcasm and bs, the OP doesn't mind voicing his comments either.

Fair enough...point taken. Granted, the initial question was ill-authored, and probably mis-placed, but the first response right out the gate IMHO, was synical at best.

I guess I really get sick of all the "extra attitude" in general. Just a sign of the times, I suppose.

Again, just my humble opinion.....why would anyone WANT to provoke somebody that obviously shares common interests, regardless of their experience or lack of it?

I don't mean to piss in anybody's Wheaties but I will say this, six years ago when I came looking for some help, I was lucky to get answers from some patient enthusiasts who suffered my rediculous questions. If I'd gotten snyde, nasty responses, I'd have never come back. Hell, I'd still be trying to figure out how to plug an 1/8" jack into a soundblaster. :D

true, i find that on furums you sometimes have to weed through the crap, the fanboys, posers and people who just don't know what their talking about to get what you are looking for. hopefully the OP got some insight into what he was looking for.

Back