multi tracking sound cards

herobot

ok, here's the thing, I've get a penium II 400 running windows 98 and have been using cakewalk pa9 for quite a while. I have the internal soundcard and a D-man (1 stereo in, 1 stereo out) For this post at least we are stearing clear of midi.

So with cakewalk, I've got roughly 8 tracks before it starts dropping out abnormally often and by 12 if i can get that far it will drop out LOTS. There are obvious solutions like bouncing all dem tracks to 1 but that's no fun. I've maxed out my ram (to 384). Obviously this is a matter of a. processor speed or b. cakewalk is unstable. I believe it is the first of those two but it's possible it's not. A few people I know are under the opinion that multitracking sound cards are the answer (some examples are the terratec ews88mt, delta 1010 pci, pg 124 on the christmas 2001 musician's friend brochure). The answer being that these cards will take some heat off of the processor by handling the tracks.

lets, for this scenario use the terratec ews88mta 24bit/96Khz, 16 track simultaneous record/playback, 20 channel mixer(i assume the mixer is a software based mixer). Now the "answer" that the supporters of these style cards is said to be that as long as I assign the .wav files i use (recorded or inserted loops) to the specific channels in the soundcard, my computer will treat that as 1 track the old fashoined way. (My computer can do 6 tracks with absolute stability, so it would theoretically be able to handle 6 X 16 tracks this way) Is this right/possible/logical? I don't want to go buy a 1.7 ghz beast but I need an answer to get me roughly 16-24 tracks with absolute stability even regardless of simultaneousness. Any ideas on this subject????????

you track count problem is probably due to 1 of 2 things....

too many plugins, for which your CPU is at fault

your hard drive is too slow to handle the track count...a separate 7200rpm hard drive is advised for audio......

too many plugins?

in "too many plugins" do you mean the dx audio effects plugins in cakewalk itslef? or some other plugin thing? I dunno off hand the speed of my hard drive but that's an idea. thanx gidge

Yep, Dx effects and vst are considered plugins....and using too many of them can bring a weak CPU down...i have a Celeron 500mhz and I can only do at best 8 total plugins (on a good day) with buffers maxed......

and to the question you raised in your first post, you definitely wont get 16X6 tracks on your computer.....soundcards wont help with track count...the biggest thing that will help in that area is a faster hard drive......

how much $$$ can you spend to get what you want?....

first off Ram is cheap so put some more in..it wont hurt....

a dedicated hard drive just for audio.....Maxtor Diamond Max 7200rpm, maybe 20 GB, should run $80.......

see if your motherboard will allow the upgrade of the CPU and stick the fastest Celeron in there it will take.....

also, those cards you listed have no onboard DSP that take the heatoff the processor....some cards do that but none of these do...so the simultaneous tracks and channels that these cards spec out are what the card is capable of ONLY if your computer is up to it....

dx plugins...tell me more

i figure this should go into the cakewalk forum but i'm already here...When does a plugin become in use. Because of have loads of plugins that i may not use in a song but are they "in use" just because i could be using them? And also, I was under the impression that plug-ins acted purely as a manipulator of whichever .wav I put it onto, but once it does what it does (be it reverb, compression, distortion, etc.) it would go back into nothing but another few mb of harddrive, since i don't use these in real time (or at least i didn't think i did).
As for what do i want/need...I've maxed out on ram, got the new harddrive thing on the to-do list, I don't know much about my motherboard or about celaron's and if they would really improve anything, and as far as soundcards i shouldd get a new one since i can get max three inputs at a time which is not good for bands and 1 take performances.

Back