Mr. TimOBrien, I need your assistance...

Basslord1124

Well you're the only one on this board I know that's got the Echo Mia. If anyone else has the Echo Mia or can give me suggestions feel free. Well I got mine the other day and go figure with my luck I am having trouble. Although I am proud to say I got it installed in the PC without much trouble. It was kind of a cramped space to put a PCI Card but I got it in. My system is PII 350 Mhz with Windows 98. I installed the drivers before I installed the card itself which is what they recommended on the instructions. So I've got all the drivers installed (or so I think) and the card is in place in the computer, and when I turned the PC on after I got the card in, it booted up normally, detected the new hardware and all that...but here is the problem: the Mia Console does not appear. I've removed the Mia card from the System list in Control Panel and reinstalled it and the drivers and the Console still won't show. Am I forgetting something? Could my card be bad or something? Help!!! :confused:

Hi!

First thing I would suggest is that you immediately go to Echo's website and download the newest drivers (they just released them last week.) Always check on the manufacturers website for any new device you buy; those CD's in the boxes can be seriously out of date. The new drivers are a complete installation including new consoles.

By the way, you can always put a shortcut of the console on your desktop to launch whenever you want.... the file is in c:\windows\system\echo24 and the name is Echocon2.exe

tim

Yeah I got the latest drivers...forgot to mention that before. Still no luck. I've actually got a couple different downloads of drivers for the card: 2 of which have the 6.00 version...one's the internet one and the other one's not. Whether there is a difference I don't know. I sent a message to Echo explaining the problem and they said it depended on which version of Windows 98 I had...whether is was 1st or 2nd edition. To be quite honest I have no idea what version we have but I do remember when I'd run the setup my current setting was on WDM drivers...not the VxD. They said something if I had 1st edition to use driver version 5.58. I downloaded that ran it and still nothing. And if it was second edition to download a patch from Microsoft to make it compatible with WDM...but like I said my setting was with WDM. I located the console file and I've got error messages...one of which said something like No Hardware found, although I can't remember which version of the drivers I was using when I got that error message. I've got the 6.00 drivers now and I get this error message: Unable to open Mixerlib, Error: mixer " not found. Your app will now be terminated. Not sure what I should do. It's a nice card after all. I'm sure your clueless on the problem too but if you can give me any advice I'd appreciate it. My email is Basslord1124@aol.com if that'd be better. Thanks.

Go to Start>Settings>Control Panels and double-click on the System control panel icon. On the first (General) tab it will tell you which version of Windows you are running like this:

System:
Microsoft Windows 98
Second Edition
4.10.2222 A

If it does not say Second Edition, you REAALLLLLY need to upgrade to it. The "hardware not found" message could mean that it can't find it or you could even have a bad card but try this:

Pull the card out of your PC.

Uninstall ALL the echo software. Delete the folders manually if you have to.

Then reinstall the card (in a different slot if possible)

Reinstall the new drivers.

Test using standard MME drivers in your audio application.

in that order??...I mean it makes sense to me to uninstall everything before I remove the card. Or does it really matter? And I don't have any other available PCI slots...only got 2, the other one is being taken up by our modem. I guess I got Windows 98 1st Edition...funny b/c you say definitely to upgrade to 2nd edition whereas it seems Echo products don't have the best of luck running on a second edition machine. That's what it appears like I read in the pdf files where I downloaded the latest drivers. Here's what the Echo techs told me in regards to the console thing:

>>Hello Chris,
Since you have the 6.0 driver under Windows 98, which edition, first or second?
If first run the driver installer again until it asks you to install. Once there quit and download the 5.58 driver.
If you have Second edition read the read me file and where it states about all know issues, look under Windows 98 second edition. It will have a link to the Microsoft website to download a patch for WDM to be compatible with 98 second edition.<<

I will say when we took our computer in last time to get a new hard drive installed they also installed Windows 98 update files...not sure what all's there unfortunately. But anyways, I won't do any of the dirty work until you let me know what's up. Thanks once again. Peace.

Back