Moving...Need Advice

brett304

Okay, I'm moving..need to downgrade, etc... Basically room is going to be the issue here.... I'm going to keep my computer and my soundcard system...I'm using the omni studio by m-audio which has two preamped mic/instrument imputs....

Currently I have an old analog Yamaha 2404 that I'm using as my mixer, but it's going to have to go... My main question in this thread is this... If I just get a straight rackmountable mixer with no preamps on it, could I use the preamps on my soundcard??? OR should I get a seperate preamp rack (in addition to my mixer rack) and bypass the ones on my soundcard???

I plan to get rid of my drums etc, so I probably will stick to small time recordings for a while...Sketchpad style... I would still like the preamps though in case I wanna mic my acoustic or in case I go to record a session in which case I would have 8 imputs to work with...

brett304 said:
If I just get a straight rackmountable mixer with no preamps on it, could I use the preamps on my soundcard???
Yes. You will need to mix your tracks 'in the box' but it's gotta be much better than not being able to make music at all.

If there are any music stores at all in the area you are moving to consider renting what you need from them as the situation arises. Even if they don't have an ongoing rental biz or rate card, going in and chatting with the manager about what you need and what you're going to be doing with it goes a long way.

rack setup???

I am using an old analog mixer (large creature)...Could I get suggustions for a smallish rack setup...Less than $700... Thanks

Back