MOTU 828 vs Digi001

Elonvocals

Hi Everyone!
This is my first posting here...and I'm looking forward to getting some good feedback.

I'm planning on putting together a small home computer studio and have narrowed my purchase choice to either the MOTU 828 (with Firewire) or the Digi001. Has anyone had experience with either or both of these pieces of equipment and can give me pros & cons to each? I'm basically looking for stability, bang for the buck, etc...

I'm new to the digital audio recording world so any help would be much appreciated. I have a PIII 660MHz PC with 256MB of RAM. Should I plan on getting a Mac instead? I've heard that Macs are much better for audio recording than PCs. Is this true?

I'm looking forward to hearing all of your comments!

Mac's are better, they are more stable. MOTU only works with a Mac if I am correct. The Digi 001 works with both Mac and PC, but works best with a Mac.

I don't know every feature for the Digital P, but I can say that the Digi001 will most likely be a better investment. You can even record at a TOP NOTCH studio with ProTOols, then bring it home to your digi001 and mix it there, or it could be the other way around. I have heard that ProTools has better editing capablilities, but you can't expand with the Digi001.

The Digi001 is cheaper, with better software. I say go with the Digi 001. My $0.02 worth. :D

Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI Auction! No Reserve, Hurry!! :) ;)

Thanks frank_1!!!
What kind of Mac should I get? I won't have a whole lotta cash after buying either Digi001 or MOTU...so what's the minimum specs I should look for? Keep in mind I'm going to be recording anywhere from 8 to 16 tracks. Mostly keyboard, lots of vocals, and maybe an acoustic guitar.

What?

Sorry, but I used to work at Digidesign, and I've been through the gamut of problems with both platforms, and your statements about the Mac are erroneous. A well-configured PC system is just as stable and a lot cheaper... and your current PC will be fine with the 001.

If you want more advice, check out the Digidesign User Conference (duc.digidesign.com).

MOTU works on both platforms as well. But Digidesign is the way to go if you want both hardware and software in one package... and I love my 001 on my PC. I also love my MixPlus on my Mac, but that's another story...

It's good to hear you say that Charger - I have found that most Mac users have no idea of the capabilities of a PC but I've noticed recently that a few are looking at the cost difference and scratching their heads.

cheers
john

If I'm not mistaken, we're talking hardware digi001 and Protools LE here, or just plain old hardware that is the Motu. Now, if you're gonna go with Motu's actual recording software, DP3, well then yes, I think you will be better off with it since it too is compatible with Protools OMf files and all that jazz, and is capable of unlimited tracks.
No, Motu doesnt only work with a mac.
At current prices, get a faster CPU, and if you;r motherboard isnt up to spec, then nix that too.
Macs are NOT more stable, really... they all have bugs of some sort or another, every computer does. Windows 2000 is pretty damn stable, and is almost impossible to blue screen. I think that your best bet is Sonar 1.3 with Windows 2k with the Motu 1224 and a Lucid clock and WDM drivers. If not, then get Sonar 1.3 with the DElta 1010 and the Lucid clock, UNLESS you can afford DP3 with the 1224, which is awesome and looks damn sexy, too.

DP3 IS mac only, sorry... but the hardware definatly is not.
Get Sonar 1.3 and the 1224 and install the new WDM drivers and be happy. Upgrade your computer a little, too. Plug-ins are fun and CPU hogs. Get windows 2k, too.

Gee Frank, that's a pretty uninformed statement. I run a MOTU 2408mkII on a 700MHz P III and it runs just fine. You can't run they're recording software as it only runs on Mac, but it works with all other multitrack software platforms. I had a G-4 Protools system for a year and while it's a fine system, it wasn't for me. If it says Mac on it, it's more expensive than the PC equivelent for parts. And the plug ins for the Protools are more than the DirectX and VST versions of the same plug. Just my humble opinion. YMMV.
And Frank, I thought I told you to lose the monkey.:cool:

I can get my hands on a 1.4 GHz PC pretty cheap thanks to some connections I have. So...I think I may go that route rather than spend the money for a Mac.

Keep in mind here that this is my first journey into computer-based recording...and I don't have tons of money to spend. So I'm looking for something to get me started but will take me into the future a little bit...and then expand from there. That is why I posed the question of which unit to buy...Digi001 or MOTU 828. I didn't realize the MOTU didn't come with software like PT Le does with the Digi001. Is that correct? Sorry if I sound stupid...I'm inexperienced...and want to make a good decision. I really appreciate all the help!!!!

Elio

charger said:
What?

Sorry, but I used to work at Digidesign, and I've been through the gamut of problems with both platforms, and your statements about the Mac are erroneous. A well-configured PC system is just as stable and a lot cheaper... and your current PC will be fine with the 001.

If you want more advice, check out the Digidesign User Conference (duc.digidesign.com).

MOTU works on both platforms as well. But Digidesign is the way to go if you want both hardware and software in one package... and I love my 001 on my PC. I also love my MixPlus on my Mac, but that's another story...

I totally agree with your whole post! Im using 001 with PC and have had amazing success.... PC's are just as good as mac with 001 and cheaper...

The trick is folowing all the proper requirements.....They are all posted on Digi's site...

I laugh when I hear people bitch about how Pc's suck with PRo Tools... Then you find out they are trying to run it on a P233 with 32 mb ram, and a 10 gig no name brand slow-ass drive......

I am using the recormmended Glyph Project X Drive...... Everything works awesome.. lots of Plug-ins (im using the waves gold bundle) and all 24 tracks....

Never had a downtime (yet) :)

People also bitch about how the Glyph is a waste of money, and that a 30 gig $199 7200 RPM drive is just as good....

Lets see how THERE system runs! *Evil Laugh*

BG

I just want to add, that I once tested it... and

I got 30 Pro-Tools (supplied) Plug-ins...
and 15 big waves, plug-ins.... and 24 tracks

All running at once in perfect harmony!

(Actually it was my song that was making the perfect harmony.... :D)

I was referring to Digital Performer, but it is so much easier to type MOTU. I didn't realize that MOTU was just the hardware, I thought they were the same thing... Sorry. :confused:

stability pc vs mac

The problem is, it takes ALOT of work to make a PC as stable as a Mac, a Mac starts off that way. Ig you are not PC saavy, a Mac will not be a problem for you to use, you will be able to record with low latency and the mac's stability, etc...

That being said, I use a PC, and will use a PC since I know how to build and maintain yada yada yada. Also, there is no N-Track for Mac, very sad.

Oh well..

The problem is, it takes ALOT of work to make a PC as stable as a Mac, a Mac starts off that way. Ig you are not PC saavy, a Mac will not be a problem for you to use, you will be able to record with low latency and the mac's stability, etc...
Again, this is incorrect. People, it's not Windows 3.1 out there any more. I can crash anyone's computer, a Mac or a PC, given time and an ill-behaved program. That said, it does NOT take a lot of work to make a PC work well. People make it seem like all us PC users are behind our computers adjusting settings with a soldering iron and tweaking weird lines of code just to get the thing stable. That is NOT true. All you do is buy the right computer or parts, and it's getting increasingly difficult to buy the wrong one these days, as long as you buy something fairly up-to-date.

Having worked with both platforms extensively at an audio company (Digidesign), I have seen them both crash in horrific ways, and I've seen them both do amazing things. Any time someone talks about the Mac's "stability," I immediately understand that that person has either not spent much time with a Mac or not used it for anything critical.

There are many many things I can do on a PC that I can't do, or do as well, on a Mac, and there are many things I do on a Mac that I can't do, or do as well, on a PC. But neither of them is easier to use, and neither of them is "better"... for a beginner or a pro. They're just different.

It's like saying to someone, here, eat this apple, it's way better than your orange...

charger said:

There are many many things I can do on a PC that I can't do, or do as well, on a Mac

Like upgrade. *sigh*

But, I agree...both good platforms. Just...uh..different.

charger said:

Again, this is incorrect. People, it's not Windows 3.1 out there any more. I can crash anyone's computer, a Mac or a PC, given time and an ill-behaved program. That said, it does NOT take a lot of work to make a PC work well. People make it seem like all us PC users are behind our computers adjusting settings with a soldering iron and tweaking weird lines of code just to get the thing stable. That is NOT true. All you do is buy the right computer or parts, and it's getting increasingly difficult to buy the wrong one these days, as long as you buy something fairly up-to-date.

Having worked with both platforms extensively at an audio company (Digidesign), I have seen them both crash in horrific ways, and I've seen them both do amazing things. Any time someone talks about the Mac's "stability," I immediately understand that that person has either not spent much time with a Mac or not used it for anything critical.

There are many many things I can do on a PC that I can't do, or do as well, on a Mac, and there are many things I do on a Mac that I can't do, or do as well, on a PC. But neither of them is easier to use, and neither of them is "better"... for a beginner or a pro. They're just different.

It's like saying to someone, here, eat this apple, it's way better than your orange...

I bet Albini still uses 3.1......

:D

(That was a joke, by the way...)

One thing I can say which is totally based on asthetics.... I like the way a pc's screen looks....

I go to my friends house and his mac screen makes me feel like im looking at a commadore 64...

but THAT is definatley based on personal preference...

Back