Motu 2408mk3 + PCIe424

russ1974

I started another thread about getting myself a new mixer for my computer, but having done a lot of reading over the past few days, I have realised I really do not need a mixer, and instead am going to opt for a new audio interface. I am just so used to having a hardware mixer I thought I needed to have all of the sliders/knobs in hardware - but I run everything through Cubase so not only do not need the hardware, it will be easier to manage without having knobs/sliders which my kids can mess around with!!

I'm looking at the Motu 2408mk3 and 424PCIe card. But it seems like quite an old unit ... will I get nice low latency with that, or am I better off with a more modern FW/USB2 unit, maybe something from Steinberg?

Budget for the interface is around £800. 8 channels max. I also intend to get a hardware Mic PreAmp (looking at SPL MKII) to fit between my NT1A and the interface.

Any thoughts / comments very much appreciated :)

Hey,
What exactly do you need to be able to do?

A mixer is no good alone, but could work as a front end to the motu/pci setup.
Having said that, it seems a bit overkill unless you really need room for expansion or the DSP lark.

If you just need 8 mic preamps into your computer, take a look at the presonus firepod/fp10 or tascam's us1*** models.

If not, tell us more. :)

Thanks guys :)

I have a small home recording setup, a decent spec PC running Cubase. My kit is a Rode NT1A mic for vocals, a Shure SM58 for backing vocals/micing up an instrument, and two inputs from a Digital piano. I am in a rock band, but like to record acoustic stuff at home. Sometimes one or two other people from the band will come over to record at my house, so maybe plugging in an extra mic and guitar/bass guitar.

At the moment my interface in to Cubase is an Alesis 2.0 USB mixer. It is "ok" but a bit low end, and I want to treat myself to some new kit for Christmas.

I don't really need a hardware mixer, as I will be using Cubase all the time, and the kit I get will only ever be for home recording use.

I sit right at the computer with KB/Mouse so don't need any external hardware controls for the Cubase mixing desk software.

The end result I am looking for is really nice smooth good quality low noise recordings and very low latency when I use soft-monitoring on the PC. With the Alesis I get around 14ms return (3ms record / 11ms playback). I'd love to get this sub 10ms on the return cycle.

What else can I tell you to help you give me an informed decision?

I like the MOTU but it doesn't sound like that it's what you need. I already had ADATs (and now a HD24) so the MOTU with its three banks on ADAT gozintas and gozoutas was perfect for me. The MOTU has no mic preamps so if you don't have any, no help there. Sounds like you need a different interface.

Agreed.
An eight channel interface with mic/line inputs sounds like it'd do the job nicely.
Latency is much less of worry with modern setups, unless you're mixing massive sessions for film or something.

The tascam offerings are nice, and if you're really keen to spend a bit more, look at the units from RME.

I am loving my Steinberg UR824. Actually two of them. One is a ADAT slave for 16 input channels. It can do up to 24.

Plus, you can use it's built in DSP effects from directly inside of Cubase.

At 64 samples buffer, it shows latency at 4.671 ms Input, 5.669 ms Output.

:)

I am still wondering about a proper dedicated mic preamp on top of the Steinberg. Would that be overkill/not worth it?

I really want to get the best tone I can on my vocal recordings. I know there are many factors involved but just wondering about thoughts on a dedicated mic pre.

I'd just go with the interface for now, at least.
Give it a run in for a while and then decide if you need to upgrade further after that. ;)

I agree with steeno. Start with the interface and worry about additional preamps later. I use a Vintech x73i for my 'sweet' channel, but really I would only give it maybe a 5% improvement as far as the preamp itself is concerned. The eq on it makes it worth the $1500 it cost me.

I'm looking at the Motu 2408mk3 and 424PCIe card. But it seems like quite an old unit ... will I get nice low latency with that, or am I better off with a more modern FW/USB2 unit, maybe something from Steinberg?

Budget for the interface is around £800. 8 channels max. I also intend to get a hardware Mic PreAmp (looking at SPL MKII) to fit between my NT1A and the interface.

A fairly cheap pc today would be handling the Motu easily, Thats a benefit.
a new pc that's probably $300 that's better than the $1500 pc back then, and its a great deal.
My HR stuff on my gear years ago doesn't sound any worse than my stuff today, 16 bit or 24 bit, no difference there.

MOTU 2408
For Windows:
•Pentium CPU (or equivalent) 800 MHz or faster; Pentium III CPU or faster recommended
•128 MB RAM; 512 MB or more recommended
•Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, or XP
•Hard disk drive, preferrably 20 GB or larger
•Available PCIe slot
•CD-ROM drive for installation

Specifications

•8 analog inputs/outputs with 24-bit, 96kHz converters on balanced/unbalanced 1/4" TRS connectors
•108dB S/N ratio (A-weighted)
•24 channels of ADAT optical input/output
•24 channels of TDIF (Tascam digital) input/output
•2 channels of S/PDIF in and 4 channels out
•16, 20 and 24-bit recording at 44.1, 48, 88.2 and 96 kHz
•ADAT sync input on PCI-424 card
•Word clock in and out
•Includes cross-platform PCIX-424 or PCIe-424 card
•Chassis dimensions, excluding rack ears and front and back panel knobs and connectors: 19 × 7 × 1.75 inches (48.26 × 17.78 × 4.45 cm). Knobs and connectors extend up to 0.5 inch (1.27 cm) from front and back panels, adding 1 inch (2.54 cm) to depth. With rack ears attached, fits standard 19 inch (48.26 cm) rack at 1U high.

Maybe Im missing something but I don't see much difference in much of the DAW's or interfaces over the past several years, no major changes happening.

You could buy a used MOTU or a new Tascam 1800 $299 which comes with Cubase
Product: US-1800 | TASCAM

Preamps are fun, but if on a budget you cant beat all the free plugs that do the eq and comp. and probably much more. Its all up to your wallet for the boutique stuff..

I started another thread about getting myself a new mixer for my computer, but having done a lot of reading over the past few days, I have realised I really do not need a mixer, and instead am going to opt for a new audio interface. I am just so used to having a hardware mixer I thought I needed to have all of the sliders/knobs in hardware - but I run everything through Cubase so not only do not need the hardware, it will be easier to manage without having knobs/sliders which my kids can mess around with!!

I've been using a MOTU 2408 (I & II) with the 324 card ( not optional) and a presonuse firebox for the last 5 years or so on my intel core 2 duo (32bit) computer and have had very pleasing results. BTW the pres in the firebox are actually pretty good. I'm a sound tech that got into recording ...first just to learn something new and now actually making money from it. I also design and build speakers, High-end home audio all the way to line array PA systems, but I digress. I'm also doing live recordings using an alesis 24HD 24 track hard drive recorder. and by the time I'm near the end of what started as a 24 track project I'm into 40 or more tracks with all the processing and plugins required and it's gotten to the point where I needed a new machine. To my disappointment and dismay the i7 machines that I've been looking at do not have mother boards that support firewire. It appears that firewire has come and if not gone ..it's going quickly. All that said I would advise you to look into hardware that is usb 2 or better yet usb 3 compatible as that seems to be the future. Keep in mind that my motu 2804 came with drivers for windows 95. I would strongly suggest to look at whats coming in hardware before making your investment. Good luck to you.

Back