MOTU 1296, 24i, and the Mackie 32 Channel Recording Console

pisces7378

Hey guys,

I am going to be over-halling my entire studio soon. No offense to anyone, but I hate Mac so I am going to be getting a "custom built for audio" PC (Carillon, or so) with Logic Audio 5 (which I already have).

Now I have been using the Delta 66 with the Omni Studio breakout box thingy. Now, as it was an excellent temporary solution until I could get my head around DAW recording, I have, as the sales rep told me I would, outgrown it. I am trying to set up a 24 track studio. I was first looking at trying to get some scaled back Pro Tools stuff, like the new HD system core card and the 192 interface. But then the 12,000 Euro (8,200 Pound)reality set in and I decided, feck Pro Tools. I don't like the fact that they try to sell you such a "total solution". It may work nicely for their marketing campaign to say, "We are dedicated to providing a top quality product in an all-in-one convienient solution!" But to me, it just seems like a way to force you to have to buy all their little gagets without the freedom of chosing a 3rd party for hardware. And the fact that they charge you $7,995 for a core card with 9 Motorola DSPs on it (and I work for Texas Instruments in DSP support and development so I know how much those DSPs cost) and then they turn around and say... well it is useless without one of our $4,000 interfaces.
Anyway, coming tot he point... I have been wondering what is the "next-step-down" when it comes to a similar solution to Pro Tools. It seems to me to be MOTU, and their PCI card solutions. Now I am looking for 24 tracks so i thought that I might get the MOTU 1296 Core system w/ the PCI card and the interface together, then get another 1296 interface, and poof, 24 inputs. Now my worries comes from the fact that I will also be buying the Mackie 32 Channel 8 bus console. The Mackie has pre-amps on every channel. I am assumjing that since it is a Mackie, that they are good pre's. Now as far as I can see, the MOTU 1296 also has pre's on each input. What are the problems associated with sticking an already pre'ed signal into another Pre-amp. Doesn't that mean an out of control hot signal? I certainly am not wanting to fry anything.

What do you guys think?

Those are not pre's on the 1296,they are xlr balanced inputs. Go to .MOTU and check them out. Very nice unit if you have the bucks

I am almost ready to buy the 1296 myself. I saw a system based on a 896, wich is firewire and has preamps and digital ins. It has a lot of bells and whistles, compared to the 1296. But the 1296 has all this heavenly headroom. Some people are saying that the 1296 is more transparent thant the 896, but you would have to realy compare them side to side to realy know if it will make a difference for you.
I do think that the pro tools "craze" is a result of marketing. You can do wonders with Logic audio.
You will save a huge amount of money if you bypass the mackie digital mixer. You have one in Logic, and if you want sliders to control it, two models come to my mind, radikal technologies and, also, Logic control, sold by mackie and endorsed, it seems, by emagic.
Of course, you can buy a carrillon system, but any properly configured computer will do the same job with much, much less money.
You will save a huge amount of money if you setup your own computer and get the Logic control instead of the hardware digital mixer, wich has its uses, of courses. It really depends on your needs.

Thanks for the answer man. That was cool! You'll have to let me know how the 1296 turns out after you buy it.

About the Mixer, I am not looking for a digital mixer. I was talking about the "mother ship" sized Mackie 32 channel (maybe having to settle for the 24 channel) 8 bus analog mixing7recording console.
The reasoning behind me getting that big sucker, is...

1.) I hate digital mixers. (Learning curve, needles bells and whistles, not tweaker friendly, flipping through virtual fader layers on a 4"x6" LCD is not how I want to spend my days, suck for live sound reinforcement)
2.) I am going to need a lot of inputs for recording.
3.) I am also going to be doing a lot of recording bands in a live situation at shows etc... so will be needing the extra channels to get all the mics down.
4.) I might be getting into doing some live sound work in general. Nothing fancy, but will need a big, tweakable, mixing desk.
5.) I want to go ahead and get the big guy, because I don't want to make the same mistake I have before of buying a smaller compromise, and then really not being satisfied with what I DID buy for being to disappointed in what I REALLY WANTED.

My only concern about the MOTU 1296, is that it has already been on the market for so long that I will buy the thing... and 6 months later MOTU will bring out their next generation that is compariably priced, but is super better somehow. I mean I know that this is a fear that anyone looking for gear has, but I want to avoid it as much as possible. Especially if MOTU (or anyone else for that matter) does drop their next generation of whateveron the market, then the price for the MOTU 1296 will drop through the floor and I will have to sit crying while twirps all across the world go pay $700 what I paid $1,400 for just 6 months earlier.

Oh yeah, and I am looking into buying the Logic Control already now. See I am living in Germany at the moment, but I am moving back home tothe states in February of next year. So I am going to go ahead and pick up the Logic Control now, so that I can soften the financial blow that buying a: New PC, MOTU 1296, Mackie 32 channel 8 bus mixer, AND the Logic Control, all at the same time would bring.

I know it may sound like I have more $$$ than brains. And that may be the case. But I figure that if I shoot for saving enough for all this... then I will at least get half of it... which would still be cool as hell compared to my Delta 66/Omni studio with only two pre-amped ins.

I need inputs, damn it!!!!

Back