A motion control surface?

kidkage

Bored of Canada
Can't believe I haven't mentioned this Leap thing here before :eek:

Not sure how many of you have heard about it yet.

Can you imagine instant control of all plug ins???
For $70 ?!?!

I just can't imagine that it would be very high resolution making it useless for editing or fader moves.

"It’s more accurate than a mouse.........................the Leap can distinguish your individual fingers and track your movements down to a 1/100th of a millimeter."

Anybody got one? I'm so tempted.

QUOTE "It’s more accurate than a mouse.........................the Leap can distinguish your individual fingers and track your movements down to a 1/100th of a millimeter."

Yeah and the bible is real because IT says it is too.

Sorry that was mean, here's a good experiment to show that this is not good for finite adjustments, hold your finger out in the air in front of a spot in space and don't move it....good luck.

Sorry that was mean, here's a good experiment to show that this is not good for finite adjustments, hold your finger out in the air in front of a spot in space and don't move it....good luck.

Lol, I take your point.
I'm just saying it's not gona be a big clumbsy effort notching faders by the db.

Given that the guy who does the demo video used the mouse to flick between apps, I'm guessing it mightn't be that good for 'proper' use afterall.

So you don't think that random movement could be tweaked or compensated for in software? I guess time will tell.

Friggen spammer! lol!

I'm down with this, if it actually works.

Yeah, that was pretty mean dood (pahtcub). I'm a bit twitchy myself. lol!

Dude this is like fricking Minority Report! Epic!!

Ok done. Now what? :)

So you don't think that random movement could be tweaked or compensated for in software? I guess time will tell.

The problem with software based error correction is ok say you take out the twitchyness of our unsupported hands in space, then how will you make minute edits? How would the software differentiate between twich and small wanted adjustment?

There is a reason that photographers use tripods instead of holding their cameras, human hands just aren't steady.

I think it may be wonderful for gestures like maybe moving windows or selecting a track but that would take more energy to move your hand constantly from your mouse up to in front of the screen constantly rather than a simple shortcut key.

Surely the farther away you are, the farther you have to move your finger to control something.

If you can move an emulation of a 100mm fader by moving your finger 400mm, that'd probably be tip top.

The problem with software based error correction is ok say you take out the twitchyness of our unsupported hands in space, then how will you make minute edits? How would the software differentiate between twich and small wanted adjustment?

There is a reason that photographers use tripods instead of holding their cameras, human hands just aren't steady.

I think it may be wonderful for gestures like maybe moving windows or selecting a track but that would take more energy to move your hand constantly from your mouse up to in front of the screen constantly rather than a simple shortcut key.

Well, for what it's worth, I use a professional optical trackball instead of a mouse. Some plugins have rather small knobs but the software can be set so that it takes a wide sweep to adjust. I can imagine that a slower pointer speed coupled with acceleration would take care of this.

The biggest issue would be whether or not you can control two or more sliders at once, which is largely the point of using a control surface with physical sliders.

It might work or it might not but it's early days yet.

Human hands CAN be that steady. I've been working with a camera man who can sweep smoother than the tripod swivel with his hands. Just loads of practice. I use an airbrush and that requires a very steady hand, with nothing to support it. Just practice.

Another thing you might want to try is a pen tablet. Absolutely great for fine adjustments and after a while, you think you're moving knobs with your fingers. A fast and fluid means of painting in pattern blocks and programming a drum sequencer.

I set out with the idea of mapping everything to a physical control surface with knobs and sliders. Unfortunately, by the time I've selected a control template, on the controller, I can just grab it with the mouse/ trackball. Not as useful as I thought it would be. I now only use it for controlling mixer faders.

I set out with the idea of mapping everything to a physical control surface with knobs and sliders. Unfortunately, by the time I've selected a control template, on the controller, I can just grab it with the mouse/ trackball. Not as useful as I thought it would be. I now only use it for controlling mixer faders.

I know what you mean there.
The digi 003 i had was an absolute gem for faders,solo,mute,record and transport,
but as soon as you start in to controlling plugins, you may as well use the mouse.

I mean, sure, It's usable. You could used to it and eventually get a flow going, but I never really did.

Back