Motherboard Swap in working sytem? Yes/No?

Booda

Master of the Obvious
Have a working Win7 AMD 939 dual core PC setup.

I want to swap out the Motherboard with a AM3 socket setup that will have a triple core cpu and obviously new RAM.

I've done this before and it worked no problem. It was with WinXP, and when it fired up it installed new drivers for the PCI bus and graphics ... it worked fine, but it was a PC for office/internet.

Is there any reason this is a bad thing to do with a Audio exclusive machine? I always keep my Recording machine as lean as possible wanting and needing it to run flawless.

Thanks for any help.
B.

More info on why?...

I needed a system with a PCI-e slot. My Ol' trusty winXP, Socket A, 2800 single core, has run Rock Solid for many years doesn't have one.
I put together a system (the AM3 platform) w/ a Asus board and gSkill Ram. Had to RMA the board and 1 stick of Ram.
In the mean time I got a used setup for cheap (the 939 platform). I installed Win7 and all Recording apps. There's a conflict somewhere with my Echo sound card. I'm fairly sure it's chipset related. I got it working but it still hangs on boot up 25% of the time when the Echo driver gets loaded. If I turn off the echo it boots everytime. So I put a HD w/ XP on it and all the same Apps for a dual boot to see if it was win7 related... it does the exact same but hangs on boot up 75% of the time.

My Asus board should be back any day... I'm right in the middle of mixing a project and would like to just swap the Motherboards (w/ CPU and RAM).
I can reinstall the whole setup in a few weeks if need be but not right now.

You don't seem exactly sure what the problem is. So it could end up being completely pointless to waste the money. If you did know exactly what was wrong, you could easily just swap out the part that is causing problems, rather than basically everything.

I don't really understand why you only had 1 stick of RAM either. I'm pretty sure it's a dual channel board, meaning you should split RAM equally on each side really. That in itself could be causing you some problems.

If you haven't tried already, uninstall and reinstall the echo driver. Make sure it's the correct one for Win7 and the latest version.

thanks for trying to help but my synopsis must not have made sense. There is No money being spent. I did have 2 sticks of Ram... 1 was bad... they come as a set so they both were sent back . I reinstalled the drivers several or more times.

It's all good... thanks. Just wanted to see if anyone had experience w/ swapping a MB. Did some googling... Looks like many people have done it w/ no problems and some have problems... others just say Reinstall... just because.

The reason I say all this is just that it is usually going to be something a lot more simple to fix, rather than the entire motherboard. But if you're not having to spend any money for a new one, then you're not losing anything.

Had to RMA the board and 1 stick of Ram.
RMA: Short for returned materials (or merchandise) authorization, an alphanumeric identifier used by hardware manufacturers that indicates a user has been authorized by a company representative to return a product to the manufacturer for repair or refund

My brand new Motherboard was broken & did not work out of the box. I had to RMA it. I got the 939 MBoard to use while waiting the return of my New board. Since I already have Win7 & all my apps installed and running on the 939 used board I simply would like to swap out the Mboard with my New one when it comes back from RMA.

I shouldn't have mentioned the chipset/driver issue w/ the 939 board... sorry about that. It may have confused things. In the end I just want to be using my New AM3 setup.
Take Care,
B.

RMA: Short for returned materials (or merchandise) authorization, an alphanumeric identifier used by hardware manufacturers that indicates a user has been authorized by a company representative to return a product to the manufacturer for repair or refund

My brand new Motherboard was broken & did not work out of the box. I had to RMA it. I got the 939 MBoard to use while waiting the return of my New board. Since I already have Win7 & all my apps installed and running on the 939 used board I simply would like to swap out the Mboard with my New one when it comes back from RMA.

I shouldn't have mentioned the chipset/driver issue w/ the 939 board... sorry about that. It may have confused things. In the end I just want to be using my New AM3 setup.
Take Care,
B.

Ah, I thought you had already bought the new board, not that it was a replacement whilst your new one comes through. Also, if you were already sent a new board to replace the broken one, your question about whether it would work to do it again seems kinda pointless?
Go ahead and do it all. Have fun with your new gear.

I would anticipate doing a reinstall - I can't see that the OS would be 100% with a MB swap... Is there a reason why you can't reinstall?
I know you know but..... BACKUPS!

Back