more HD recording stuff

SilentSound

Ok I've been saving and researching and have a best friend at local music store and I am about ready to go Hd, but in pieces. He can get me MOTU interfaces dirt cheap-they have the best dynamic range of all the 24bit converters i've seen I am unsure about what i should do about computer. Tiger direct has some cool referbs for cheap, but they might have stuff i don't need I am thinking this since it is completely for recording not even plug-ins
pentium II 400
motherboard with a bunch of pci slots
dvdram
floppy
i want to save dough so a maxtor 7200 rpm HD
start off with
64megs and upgrade as i get dough
i am not sure what program to get for purely hard drive recording I want midi capabilities too

thanks
matt

dude...if you wanna save cash drop the dvd ram.. its pretty pointless.. get a cd-r instead (which youll need) and use that for backing up.. then take the money you save and get 128 megs of ram instead of 64.. and avoid refurbished.. and make sure the hard drive is 7200 rpm youll need to extra speed for pushing 24 bit files, and be aware that maxtor doesnt come highly recomended from this sites hardware experts , although ibm and quantam are..

ps.. not even plug ins ? what do you mean?

- eddie -

How much time worth of 24 track, 24 bit, 48k music can a cdr hold? I thought of this option but it seemed odd because It would only hold like 3 or 4 minutes right?

hmmnn..you make a good point.. i would suggest a tape back up drive, but it looks as if dvd-rams have dropped in price.. but if you go with a dvd-ram wont you need an scsi controller card ? regardless though , your still gonna need a cd-r for making audio cd's.. (although im not sure if your planning on making auido cd's but your planning on backing up data so you were contemplating a cd-r right?)..

someone else can plug in the #s better than i can , but i would imagive that you should be able to get about 6 tracks of 24/48 recoding onto a cd-r being that they will all be mono tracks except for the stereo master.. so thats about 4 cd-rs.. which is about 4 bucks shopping in the right places..just something to chew on..

ps.. im not sure if a PII 400 64 megs RAM 7200 rpm ide hard drive can push 24 tracks of 24/48 audio.. your RAM and especially hard drive would be the bottleneck..

anyone have any thoughts or more appropriate solutions better than mine ?

- eddie -

I'm not sure of the math here, but a 3 1/2 minute 24 bit 44.1 wav file put on a cdr for data storage will take up around 30 or 40 MB, less if you are putting the actual audio file (or write it in cda form which would need to be 16 bit wav files).
I usually can put about 10-14 tracks of 24 bit 44.1 KHz? data on one cdr. I just copy the files and write the file names on them. So for 24 tracks of wav files at 24 bit 48khz, you would need either 2 or 3 cdr's for the storage I believe.
As Eddie said, make sure its a fast hard drive. Good luck.
bobbo

You might want to try some of the larger removable storage drives like the Orb drive for backup - as well as being cheaper than (decent) tape drives, they're also faster when backing up. There might be other options out in the US that I haven't heard of, so look around.

Also, and I know it's a bitch with large files, but .wav files generally compress to about 3:1 (ie. a 10 meg file compresses to a 3.5 meg file), which will make a bit of difference.

A _good_ tape drive, though, will store up to 24 gig, which should be enough for everything but close micing the entire Melbourne Symphony Orchestra (I wonder if n-Track could handle it? ;))

Option number 457 is to get a removable drive bay, and just use multiple hard drives for different projects. This approach has a minor flaw - assumes that your filthy rich.

Is that clear as mud?

- gaffa

24 tracks recorded at 24bit/48Khz would take 202 500Kb, so yeah, 3-4 minutes per CD. But here's a question for you: how often do you really use 24 tracks at once? I've saved a lot of tracks since I found out how good a drum sounds with only 4 mics (kick, snare, 2 overheads) :)

Funny you should mention it....my greatest drum sound was from two really compressed overheads and an open kick and snare mic i drive a tube pre on kick and snare for all the compression i needed. it really worked... but back to bidness.... i am not sure about this whole thing i have cakewalk pro8 and will have 9 in a blink, CoolEditPro.. i basically want to have a very basic HD system just for that. Not use plug in verbs or eq's. Maybe an autotune(shh don't tell my singer) I also want to use it for midi sequencing and effects automation. By the time i have this, i will possibly have the tascam td-4000 digital console waiting for it. but for now, ADATs..

How much are data dat tapes?? If they are made by hhb i can get them disgustingly cheap!!
so is this good?
pentium II 450
128 megs ram
enough pci slots to accomodate all the converters and stuff
dat backup
cd ROM
one small hd for OS and
one beastly one for audio

I don't need a burner because i have a computer now that has one and i use that computer for editing stereo wavs with sound forge 4.5

Back