Mono guitar cable into sound card using Roxio Sound Editor

Ricklh

I've been recording tracks from music cd's into Roxio's Easy CD Creator by plugging a stereo 1/8" plug into my sound card and watching the left and right tracks on the graphic display. But I was wondering if I plug my acoustic/electric guitar cable (mono) directly into the sound card, will I just get one side since the cable is mono? Or will I get two tracks of the same signal?

Depends on the connector

1/4" female mono ---> 1/8" male stereo, with the description of the product stating specificallly "mono to stereo" ... This will output to both L+R

johnnymegabyte said:
Depends on the connector

1/4" female mono ---> 1/8" male stereo, with the description of the product stating specificallly "mono to stereo" ... This will output to both L+R

Thanks, I think I have one of those connectors around the house somewhere...

While we're on the subject, there's no reason in the world to record the guitar to a stereo track with two copies of the same signal. All you get is a doubled mono signal that takes double the disk space and makes mixing more complex (panning a stereo track -- which is really already panned -- is not straightforward). So just record either the left or right side to a mono track.

Back