Monitoring in stereo in Focusrite scarlett 2i2?

Leandrusi

Hello! Is it possible to get stereo in direct monitoring a digital piano thru a scarlett 2i2?
I´ve read it only gives mono when direct mon. but maybe someone knows a way around messing around with some software/driver??
Any ideas are welcome! As well as suggesting other usb interface in the same pricerange that you know can monitor in stereo...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

I don't monitor directly from the 2i2, but my understanding is that each line in (there's two of them) is mono, so you would need to put the Left output from your keyboard into one of the 2i2 inputs, and the Right output from your keyboard into the other. From what I can tell, there's no way to make a single mono input playback in both ears when direct monitoring. So if your keyboard only outputs mono then you're out of luck, unless you split the output from the keyboard so you can use both inputs on the 2i2 (this may cause phasing issues?).

I don't monitor directly from the 2i2, but my understanding is that each line in (there's two of them) is mono, so you would need to put the Left output from your keyboard into one of the 2i2 inputs, and the Right output from your keyboard into the other. From what I can tell, there's no way to make a single mono input playback in both ears when direct monitoring. So if your keyboard only outputs mono then you're out of luck, unless you split the output from the keyboard so you can use both inputs on the 2i2 (this may cause phasing issues?).

Mi piano outputs stereo (is a Kawai mp6), the right out of the piano is plugged into the right input of the scarlett, and the left out of the piano is plugged in the left of the scarlett. But it doesnt monitor in stereo...
The direct monitoring comes out in MONO, as mentioned here in the "output" apart: https://simplehomerecording.com/2014/09/25/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-review/
Im trying to figure out if I can pan each channel with some software or driver...

ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE A SCARLETT 2i2, CAN MAYBE GIVE ME SOME INFO ABOUT THIS?? :confused:

Mi piano outputs stereo (is a Kawai mp6), the right out of the piano is plugged into the right input of the scarlett, and the left out of the piano is plugged in the left of the scarlett. But it doesnt monitor in stereo...
The direct monitoring comes out in MONO, as mentioned here in the "output" apart: https://simplehomerecording.com/2014/09/25/focusrite-scarlett-2i2-review/
Im trying to figure out if I can pan each channel with some software or driver...

ANYONE WHO MAY HAVE A SCARLETT 2i2, CAN MAYBE GIVE ME SOME INFO ABOUT THIS?? :confused:

According to the review, when you have the switch on the front of the 2i2 for direct monitoring set to ON, then it will only play in mono (assuming you are using the headphone output jack on the front?).

"Indirect" monitoring, through the PC, is favorable in most situations (both playback and recording for the amount of control), so obviously the engineers didn't think this would be much of an issue for most people as long as when they wanted to record in some out as left/right (discrete channels).

I use the 2i2. But as I said, I don't use direct monitoring [my direct monitoring switch is set to OFF, monitoring knob turned most of the way right/full] since everything I accomplish is computer based using the monitor output on the back of the 2i2 to a headphone amp, and control the inputs and outputs through the computer, etc.

Last edited:
Back