Monitor volumes.

The problem here is a pennies problem being sorted with a pounds solution.

The output is +4dB, the speakers being designed for the lower level get driven too hard - so we're looking at what? Two T-Pads, costing virtually nothing, plus maybe a M-F adaptor to house them? In fact, maybe a small mod and have a small box with two knobs you can then adjust to get the loudness to match the output fader and meters. Is there a reason we've suddenly got very complicated?

Indeed. ATTENUATOR ADAPTOR, -20DB, XLR - PSG02973 - PRO SIGNAL

Can't find any other speccs like input Z but cheap enough for a busk?

Dave.

I think because he wants central control of two different sets of monitors. I agree that padding the run to the big speakers is the way to go, it might even still be desired with whatever other hardware he uses so that he can have a more useable range on those knobs.

I have a similar situation in that the PA in my basement is just too loud for any same use. In that case, the crossover has XLR inputs, and I think I'm going to take advantage of the step down through a passive DI. Should be plenty of headroom then. DIs also make most ground loop issues go away automagically, so it might not matter quite so much what plugs into them. I wouldn't trust those transformers in my monitoring path, but this is a somewhat less critical application.

I have my monitors JBL 2328s fully cranked up, volume is adjusted from the audio interface. Sometimes the masted is half way up, sometimes well below that, it all depands on how hot the signal is. I have heard say that standard procedure is to have your monitors at full volume, and control volume from your soundcard/mixer that is what i do.

You mean the level controls on the monitors? No, you do not want and should not need these at maximum. Why? Well chances are with the pots flat out there could be some noise produced by the monitor's amps and even if not, having them at maximum gain means you are running the lines to the speakers at a low level and thus could amplify extraneous induced noise ("pros" run at +4dBu to avoid just this problem and of course balance the system) .

You need to calibrate the system. This means that the monitors should deliver around 85 dB C SPL at the listening position for average musical levels. Google will find you the exact procedure. In practice, 80 odd dB is a bit too loud for "domestic" usage* (a flat screen TV starts to distort at about 80dB!) but you should still calibrate for it then mark the points on the monitor controls. Then back off to a family friendly level, checking as and when you can at the louder setting.

Settings INSIDE the computer should in general be at maximum and the monitor level controlled by an external ANALOGUE volume control. This is so you have a physical control to dive for when things go apeshit loud!

*I am typing this whilst poorly wife watches The Walton and even tho I am pretty deaf I can understand every word at 1.5mtrs and the level is just ~55dBC with peaks to around 65dBC.

Dave.

I banned that 'Raheel' guy Dave. All of his posts are copied text from other sites. He is spamming his link from Pakistan...

From post #10 HERE.

Great answer tho! :D

Great answer tho! :D
Lol! Yes it was.

Turns out that the passive DI was too much attenuation for when I actually want it really loud, but I have one that I "broke" to make it a straight-wire conversion, and the pad switch on that (0, -20, -40) works perfectly for turning the Bose stacks into home theater speakers.

For what it's worth. Got the Behringer Ultralink Pro and hooked it up. Tascam 1800 out 1/2 to Ultralink master in 1/2. Hooked the speakers into the first four channels and panned 1/3 left and 2/4 right. Now have volume control over all speakers and the ability to press the split/mix buttons in for silent shut-off of the speakers before shut down and for tracking through the headphones.
The M-Audio's can be run like they're supposed to, the Rokit 5's can be brought to full weight again.
The initial problem was with rendering from Reason. It seems that Reason takes control of the sound completely. There is no sound mixer control over it. The Tascam 1800 does not have the same volume control over the speakers that my M-Audio interface had, so I was stuck with wide open when dealing with unity on the master faders in Reason. Hard on the ears, but when you pull the masters back, it changes the dynamic of the comps/limiters on the final. Putting anything in the signal chain to dampen that in Reason made the output easier to hear and the comps and limiters were sounding correct to my ears, but then the renders were quiet.
Now everything is right with the world. :D Going to see if I can re-render some of my recent projects and get the volumes where they should be.
Thanks for all the input everyone!

Glad it's working for you.

SoundForge is even worse, in that there really is no volume control at all. The only way to make what it plays back quieter is to destructively alter the wave file itself.

I've worked with soundforge (through 8) and really liked how easy it was to deal with waves, but as a DAW, I would be hard pressed to use it. Still use Vegas for my dramas at church, though because I can run the midi out to the light controller, sound out to the PA, and video out to the projectors and that makes life much easier for the sound/light guys. Placing markers at scene intervals also makes practices a lot more fruitful :)

I use SoundForge mostly for finishing, what you might call half-assed mastering. When I don't need to get too far into mastering, and just need some quick leveling, trim up heads and tails, bit-depth conversion with dithering... Pretty much when I'm making something about as loud as it's going to get. It can rip your head off sometimes if you go from a mix session in Reaper where things were attenuated a bit and then normalize in SoundForge where it's just full blast.

If you insist!

This was recorded by bouncing from DAT to DAT through a mixer, adding new tracks each time. A little better than the cassettes I started on... "Mastered for CD" in SoundForge in 1995

Actually, I meant it only hurts if you let it...
But that's pretty cool for 1995. Ah, I see...that's the crux of the song. :)

Back