Mobo&CPU combo: saffire pro 14, windows 7 and live9

808BY

Hey. I run a focusrite saffire pro 14, windows 7 and ableton live9.

Right now I only have 4gb of ram (maxed out for the board :| ), a dual core 3ghz amd phenom.
As I get better at ableton and try new things I notice running 3 vsts inside of 16 tracks is very demanding.
me.

I use a pci via chipset fire wire card that I plan on getting a pci x card. I already have a nice graphics card that I run three monitors with, 5tb of discspace, and a nice 700w modular psu. I acquired a nice rackmount box in a trade for my drumset. I plan on putting my new pc in a rackmount server case(already ordered) along with my saffire and a dbx compressor to aesthetically streamline my setup & maximize portability for djing.

with the new board cpu and ram... what motherboard chiopsets are currently performing well for other folks here?
the i7s... 6 core is pricey...but is it worth it over the amds setups?

currently interested in purchasing this combination AMD FX-9370 Eight-Core 4.7Ghz Unlocked Processor, Asus Crosshair V Formula AM3+ Motherboard, AMD FX-9370 Combo

I'd be a little cautious about a CPU running at 4.7 GHz, only because it's likely to generate a lot of heat. That means it'll need some serious cooling, and that likely means fan noise. Not ideal for a recording environment.

On my audio workstation, I'm using an Intel i7 4770k with the stock heat sink and fan. It runs cool enough that I might be able to get away with passive cooling for it. It has yet to break a sweat with any project I've thrown at it in the last year.

I don't doubt that AMD can keep up with audio work, but I didn't have much luck with them. I had a 2-core and a 4-core AMD circa 2009-2012 and neither of them exactly won me over. Could have simply been they were underpowered for the task. And they were running on mobos that maxed out at 4GB of RAM.

Back