Mixers and USB interfaces

Chance90

Hello, I do a lot of live streaming online and I use a Steinberg UR22 straight into my PC with a Rode NT2A as my microphone. Recently I've been wanting to do some EQ and compression to increase the quality of my sound for my viewers. I've tried programs that do this, but that's just extra CPU usage and latency issues with my audio not syncing up with my video, which can be a pain to deal with live. So my main question is, what kind of mixer could work for my existing set up? Analog, digital, USB? I'm thinking a USB isn't needed due to the fact that my UR22 is already doing that on it's end. Also just an extra, semi related question, is there anyway that I could use said mixer to control/compress/EQ other applications within my PC? Applications such as Skype, ventrillo, video audio, etc? Thank you in advance!

The answer to you last question is that, yes, you can put a mixer on the input and ouput of your UR22 and use it while Skyping or whatever. I Skype to family and friends frequently and it usually goes through my mixer...not because I find it necessary but because that's the way things are set up here and it's easier to use it than take it out of the loop.

However, at this point I have to ask what sort of budget you have. My concern is that you specifically mention compression and EQ--and those are areas where cheaper, entry level stuff really skimp and don't do a very good job. They certainly exist but may not do the job you want unless you're prepared to spend a bit of cash.

Well I could probably do without EQ if it makes a bigger difference in price, but from what I've noticed most mixers come with some sort of EQ anyways. I do understand what you're saying though, you get what you pay for. I was really just trying to figure out what type of mixer I could/should use and how I should have it set up. Then I was going to go from there to see what kind of options were available to me.

Back