Mixer That Serves as a USB Interface

blink182

The $500 mixers that output USB only seem to output 2 channels simultaneously over USB, or did I miss something?

I just found the Soundcraft MTK 12 that outputs 12 channels over USB simultaneously.

I need about 6 XLR mono inputs, channeled to my DAW. 4 XLR or less impacts workflow.

I need 40-something KHz fidelity, not higher.

Why did the online salesperson cast doubt that most PC's could handle more than two channels coming in over USB? (this is the big unknown)

I don't need live sound, really, just a way to feed the DAW, and leave some XLR inputs plugged in to preserve workflow.

That MTK 12 costs only $450, not $900 and up as would the pure USB solutions I've found (scarlett i8 + preamp linked over ADAT)

That board isn't a perfect workflow for home recording, but I suspect it's useable.

Help.

Last edited:
The primary use for mixers is live use. Get yourself an audio interface, for example the Tascam 16x08, which has 8 mic preamps for $300. A bit higher price, the Roland Octa-capture, the Motu 8-pre, but both well under the $900 you cite.

The salesman cast doubt because he's either an idiot or gets a bigger commission on whatever he was trying to sell you. USB 2 can easily handle 12 channels and indeed they also make a bigger unit that can handle 22 channels if that gives you more confidence in how much spare capacity USB has.

If you need the features of a mixer (say, if you also do live shows) then the Signature will do the job for you very well--and the Soundcraft mic pres are very nice indeed.

However, if all you want is a multichannel interface, then mjbphotos suggestion of the Tascam is good advice and saves you some money for more/better microphones or monitors.

I really appreciate the input! I hadn't gotten around to Tascam yet.
Actually, the salesman questioned the processor load on the average PC, at the DAW. **Is that a legitimate concern?**
For example I'm currently using Studio One. And yes it seemed unusual to question that, but I'm listening intently. And he was clear I'm not using the PC as an outboard effects machine for live.
It's tempting to ask a mixer to cover live and interface duties, but that's a lot to ask. I was holding off complicating the situation with that.
Thank you!

Last edited:
Run, don't walk, away from that salesman

I frequently work on mixes involving 32+ tracks on a 4 year old laptop running Windows (originally 7, now 10). Recording and playback with this number of tracks is no problem at all. Adding resource-hungry effects can quickly become too much but my DAW (Audition) and most others solve this issue by letting you pre-render the effects.

So basically your salesman is not worth listening to.

Good to know. That was my first time calling in to sweet*****, and that salesman took my info and said I would be his account. I didn't expect him to know all of the answers, but that was misleading.
Thanks again for the good help.
I could be happy with either solution, so that's good news.
Now comparing preamp specs between the board vs Presonus 1818...

Last edited:
I have the older Tascam us-1800 which has 14 analog and 2 digital inputs and 4 outs. I have no problem using it with an older desktop running XP. Works great for me. I've recorded my band with all the inputs a hummin' without any usb issues.
Hope this helps

If you haven't b ought from Sweetwater before, you get assigned one of the new 'advisors', and his knowledge of what YOU are looking for may be limited - and of course, they also sell recording computers and every thing else recording/music related, so are looking to increase sales.
Your best ammunition when buying anything (not just recording gear) is knowledge.

Good to know. That was my first time calling in to sweet*****, and that salesman took my info and said I would be his account. I didn't expect him to know all of the answers, but that was misleading.

Sad to hear this as Sweetwater's sales reps are usually knowledgeable people.

It used to be that USB couldn't stream much data because data flow is cpu controlled and large data streams could slow it down. If the cpu was tasked with other processes, then the USB stream would be affected. But something change in recent years. Either the USB drivers were updated, or the processors can now handle the workload or the ASIO drivers are different, or a little of all, but USB can handle a lot of data without interruption. Someone once said they were recording 16 channels at once via USB. (Was that JimmyS69 doing that?)

On the software and processor load side of things, 32 tracks is not a lot of work for a processor.

OK, this has been educational. The USB transport layer seems to have matured over the years and that's good. I'm glad I can just focus on preamp specs to make the choice. The Presonus 1818 will solve the recording aspect, and for live I would just as soon hire a sound man. Obviously trying very hard to resist getting a mixer ?

When you say $500, where are you in the world? $500 means a whole lot of different things depending where you are.

Alan.

USD $500.
In the USA. and 500 was a preconception that mixers in that price range would output more than the mains over USB. It was not a limit really.
I would spend more, but there seem to be useful solutions in the $400-600 range.

Didn't the Presonus Studio Live mixers record multitrack, how much are these now in that part of the world, plenty of older versions secondhand?

Alan.

To Echo most everyone's comments, I have an 1800, low end laptop (I don't mix with it, just capture sound) for my portastudio and I have mic'ed up all 16 channels for a live band and had no issues. The 1800 isn't the best, but the 16X08 is its successor and it runs pretty good and capturing sound has very little load on the computer.

Where you need to be careful on the computer, VSTs when mixing. That is where most of the loads come from. USB2 can handle the throughput rather easy. If you don't need to monitor the live sound, then there is even less of a stain (for latency).

Point is, a good multi-channel interface will do the job for you on almost any computer that is decent and all mid level computers (i5, 8Gb and 7200RPM or better HD) can handle mixing duties to include VSTs.

Didn't the Presonus Studio Live mixers record multitrack, how much are these now in that part of the world, plenty of older versions secondhand?

Alan.

The Presonus Studio Live is still about $1400 in the USA...and, having had to mix on one (albeit live, not in a studio) I came to really dislike its user interface. I know that the opinion on UIs is a personal thing but I'll never be the guy recommending one!

Someone once said they were recording 16 channels at once via USB. (Was that JimmyS69 doing that?)

24 via USB 2.0 actually. Steinberg UR824 is the main 8 channel interface. Then a second UR824 as an 8 channel ADAT slave. Then a ADA8000 as the second 8 channel ADAT slave unit.

I have had really good advice over the years from Nick Church at Sweetwater. And he has always thrown in free cables and such when I order substantial items. He also calls me when they have deals on things like a pair of mic cables for $10.

I'm hoping the preamps on the Presonus 1818 are newer gen, and able to support dynamic mics. The Soundcraft MTK 12 uses their Ghost preamps which have a good reputation. I do need to gauge the specs and try for an apples to apples comparison.
The way my brain works, having a console and not really using it most days will drive me nuts, so for simplicity I'm leaning towards the interface which I can get with presonus Artist SW and a zillion xlr cables and a set of headphones for 399 (beside the point).

The Presonus Studio Live is still about $1400 in the USA...and, having had to mix on one (albeit live, not in a studio) I came to really dislike its user interface. I know that the opinion on UIs is a personal thing but I'll never be the guy recommending one!

I was thinking about a second hand one, they are going cheap. I am not a fan, but I thought if the OP wanted a mixer in the price range this may be a work around.

Alan.

My friend is considering the Soundcraft MTK 22, and I've read the specs and watched the sales video. It looks pretty powerful. The Soundcraft MTK 12 looks similar.
I'd say for 500 bucks you get a mixer and an interface - good bargain.

I still have an Alesis USB20 mixer (now discontinued) that will record 16 channels at a time via USB. I don't recall if it can receve anything besides the main mix back though. I think I paid 200 US for it.

I only record one track at a time so my Lexicon IO|42 is all I need. It works well and is rock solid.

I have a Presonus Firestudio project. 8 mic preamps doubled up with line inputs & a firewire interface to a PC. I just bought a Behringer X2442USB for less than $300. Even though it has a USB output (yes, it only sends 2 channels), this mixer has direct outs on 8 of the 10 inputs. I will run 1/4" TRS patch cables from the direct outs on the X2442USB to the inputs on the Firestudio. Because these are direct outs & are pre-fader, I can record live sessions and still have the live sound capability I'm looking for. Essentially I'm just recording out of the board & all of the levels can be set & managed for recording purposes on the Firestudio completely independent of the live sound mix. As much as I hated to duplicate the mic preamps that I have on the Firestudio, it's worth it to be able to integrate the live sound capabilities I want with the ability to record up to 8 channels at once.

Back