Mini-Studio: Are separate tracks lost in mixdown/mastering?

spantini

COO of me, inc.
I'm using a Tascam DP-03SD and have all my songs recorded - ready to go to mixdown and mastering.

I'm asking this question here because I don't know if this is specific to Tascam or do other all-in-one mini studios work this way.

What I want to do is make a master to send in for copyrights and for general listening, and... retain the original separate tracks (prior to mix/master) so I can email them to band members for dubbing their parts.

When I mixdown, are the individual tracks in the un-mixed form still there? Or are they converted into a 'song mix' for mastering? Or... are the individual tracks still there in mixdown, but convert to a 'master song' in mastering?

Do I need to make copies of all songs prior to mixdown and mastering? Should I make copies of all my tracks and copy them to a folder on my desktop for later use, then proceed with mixdown and mastering with the original tracks?

I'm not using a DAW, just the DP-03SD and my PC with Windows MediaPlayer.

Don't know the specifics of that machine, but with the sd card it would be easy enough to store the files on your computer.
This would be a good idea anyway.

I was planning on doing that after creating .WAV files for each song when mastered. Since I haven't gone through this with this new equipment yet, I'm not sure if mastering a song, which creates a .WAV file, writes over the original separate tracks, or is it newly created and stored with the original tracks intact.

I reckon I'll just have to jump in and see what happens. I was just wondering if anyone here has already done this with the DP-03SD.

Thanks again, RFR.

What files are the multi tracks in? Not wav?

It would be ideal if you could transfer 8 individual wav files to your computer.
Opens up possibilities. Let's face it. Sooner or later you'll get a daw.
:D

From the manual:

You can also undo the creation of a stereo master track. In
other words, after recording the stereo master track multiple
times, you can undo and use a stereo master track that you
recorded earlier.

It doesn't touch your original tracks. Which wouldn't make sense really. From what I read from the quote, you can have multiple mixdowns.

What files are the multi tracks in? Not wav?

It would be ideal if you could transfer 8 individual wav files to your computer.
Opens up possibilities. Let's face it. Sooner or later you'll get a daw.
:D

I believe the tracks are stored on the FAT partition of the SD card, as .FAT files, I presume.

From the manual:

It doesn't touch your original tracks. Which wouldn't make sense really. From what I read from the quote, you can have multiple mixdowns.

That's terrific! I can just mix/master and save each song as a .WAV file. The master .WAV contains the individual tracks, the mixdown with FX, and the final .WAV master - all as one song. As you've found in the manual, it can all be reversed. I like that!

I guess my speed reading the paper manual didn't help any. I downloaded the PDF manual so I can search (and find) these things in the future.

Thank you again! :guitar:

Back