Midi to WAV

B1&B2

Hi,

I know this question has been asked a thousand times before, but I've never seen a REALLY good answer. I need to turn MIDI into a wav file but without sending the signal out of my PC. I'm using an AWE64 (internal synth and Reality), a Delta-66 and Cubase VST. So... is there a way to either send the AWE's output to my Delta (internally), or get the Delta to record it's own outputs when using Reality? Please don't tell me to run a lead from the AWE to the Delta's inputs, cause I've tried that, and although it works fine, I still get that lovely AWE64 hiss and skwelch!

The reason I need to do this when using Reality & VST is that using the 'capture' option results in slight tempo drift, so when I then import the wav into VST it eventually ends up playing out of sync. The wav files turn out lovely but they're just not the exactly the same tempo as VST.

Sorry if this is all a bit mixed up and confusing, but I'm feeling a bit mixed up and confused :)

One possibility

You really dont have to send the output to your AWE to use the onboard synth. Set up whatever recording package you have to record from the AWE's output, start the recording and play the midi. The output sound should be routed internally to the recording package without ever leaving the computer. I have a Delta 44 and a SB Live and it works for me. I set up Forge to record and the tempo I need and simply set up my SB to record from the card, no ouside loops. Hope it helps as I haven't used an AWE in several years and not sure how indepth the control panel for the card is.

TC

Just to be clear, what SINTZ says will only work by recording the AWE's output to the AWE's input. There's no way to route the AWE's MIDI audio stream directly into the Delta's audio source stream. So you will have a 16-bit recording when you are done, which you'll have to resample if you want to use the Delta at 24-bit resolution.

I do the same thing with my SB Live card and Delta 66. I record the MIDI to audio on the Live, then play it all back through the Delta. It's a little bit noisier than I'd like, so I was considering trying to use the Live's S/PDIF output and route it into the Delta 66's S/PDIF input. But I suspect the noise is going to be there too. Anyway, the S/PDIF out on the Live card is not a standard RCA connector and I'm not sure if I can get it to work without buying the digital i/o board which is like $50 extra... and if it turns out to be just as noisy, it will be a waste.

-AlChuck

The noise (when running the AWE out to the Delta)is minimal, and to be honest can't be heard in a final mix. I guess just knowing the noise is there is what makes me grumble.
Thanks for the replies. I didn't think there would be a magic bullet for this problem. (Or is it silver bullet?)

SINTZ,

I have the same problem. I use Delta66 , SB Live & cubase and I've asked the same question in the past but I could not be able to overcome this problem. Please if U can, explain in details what I should do, cause I could not find where and how to configure cubase to record from SB instead of Delta's inputs. In the INPUTS section I can't see any of the SB's only the Delta's. Thanks for advance.

What about splitting midi into tracks..

Quite honestly this is a little different question but you guy sound like you have exp. in this: I have the SBlive and from a midi file I want to record to several wavs from *different midi tracks*. I know I'll have to do them two at a time panning hard L/R in Cakewalk, but the big ? is.. Will the tracks all sync up in the end? It's gonna be a small drumset (sampled) split into kick, snare, etc.. Prob 4 tracks..

Back