midi and latency

oriyellow

hello. im just wandering- my keyboard is connected to the computer via usb cable. is there any chance for latency issues or do i need a sound card - stienberg or else. also lets say i have recorded an audio track and than i want to add the keyboard part again via the usb cable - hearing the audio through headphones connected to the computer - is there a latency issue in that case also. thanxs

If you want to record the sound from the keyboard, you need to connect audio out to audio in to the computer, I suggest an audio interface for quality and latency reduction. Lots of good ones on the market.

MIDI, if you want to record the MIDI and use MIDI sequencing to drive sounds on the keyboard or use a instrument plugin, then you will need the USB for MIDI connection.

While the two go together from the keyboard side of things, they are really independent of each other. The sound coming from the keyboard is pure analog (generated sound, but it still comes out as analog), the data for MIDI is all digital and has nothing to do with the keyboard other than that is what was used to input the MIDI and communicate with other MIDI devices.

hello. im just wandering- my keyboard is connected to the computer via usb cable. is there any chance for latency issues or do i need a sound card - stienberg or else. also lets say i have recorded an audio track and than i want to add the keyboard part again via the usb cable - hearing the audio through headphones connected to the computer - is there a latency issue in that case also. thanxs

Almost certainly! The USB MIDI connection of itself does not cause any delay (peeps used to say Fussywire was better. Wasn't) but you are using the PCs On Board Sound card, not good for latency and I guess Windows Wavetable sounds? Not AT ALL good for latency and pretty grotty sounds at that.

You need an Audio Interface PDQ. Moreover you want one that comes with a DAW, recording software and most of them include some instruments. One of the best DAWs for MIDI work is Steinberg's Cubase. Steinberg also make a range of AIs and the UR22 'starter' model has attracted nothing but praise AFAICT.

One of the best AI's under £200 for low latency and stable drivers is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. It comes with Cubase and some 3G of downloadable samples. In addition to two excellent mic/line HZ inputs it has two more balanced line ins and S/PDIF. MIDI I/O (of course!).

That is about the limit of my knowledge picked up a few years ago setting things up for my son. There are quite a few 'midi people' here. Mr Gruff will perhaps grace us with a visit?

Dave.

Back