midi keyboard & sound cards

UNIQNESS

hi.. this is my first post and found this site while i was searching for info on midi keyboards and sound cards..

i noticed there are a lot of categories on this site and didn't really know where to post my issues..

here's the problem:

i bought a M-Audio keystation 61es midi controller keyboard yesterday, and it seems like there's midi latency (delay after pressing keys on my keyboard). so i really can't play a song on the keyboard as i would play on a regular piano. i've been searching for hours to solve this problem and i found out that getting a good sound card might solve this problem (not sure if this is what i need to do to solve the problem). i heard a lot of good things about M-audio audiophile 2496 and was wondering what will happen to my current computer sound setup.. my computer speakers are currently connected to the speaker port (green) on my motherboard (i don't have a seperate sound card), and i noticed the audiophile 2496 doesn't come with speakers input, microphone input, nor line-in input.. i'm currently using all three inputs for my computer and don't know what i will have to do if i do get the sound card.. (i'm assuming the old sound inputs will stop working once i install the new m-audio sound card)

1. are there any other solutions to avoid midi latency? would buying a midi interface card solve this problem? what would be the cheapest and most efficient way to fix it?
2. if i buy the m-audio audiophile 2496 sound card, how will i have to use my computer speakers, computer mic, and line-in port for my video card?

i'm running a pentium 4 with windows xp if it helps any.. thanks for reading and i'd really appreciate if you guys could help me out..

Last edited:
i'm a puter engr. will try and help if i can.
with respect i suggest you get a primer book on recording midi tracks ifthats what your trying to do.
it would also help to know some details.
1. are you trying to record midi tracks on the pc ?
2. if so what midi software are you using and
3. please identify your midi routing. eg...midi out of keyboard to pc ?
or are you just playing the midi kbd and recording thru line input of souncard.
by the way you said "my speakers are currently connected to the sound input port ". NO - maybe this is a typo. spkrs (eg computer spkrs)
should connect to LINE OUT of sound card.
i need to get these details above to help identify the source of your latency.
if you have an sb type sound card try turning off what you hear.
DONT USE MIC INPUT EVER. you need a mic hooked into a mixer feeding
LINE INPUT of sound card.
if you give more details i can help further.
peace.

manning1 said:
i'm a puter engr. will try and help if i can.
with respect i suggest you get a primer book on recording midi tracks ifthats what your trying to do.
it would also help to know some details.
1. are you trying to record midi tracks on the pc ?
2. if so what midi software are you using and
3. please identify your midi routing. eg...midi out of keyboard to pc ?
or are you just playing the midi kbd and recording thru line input of souncard.
by the way you said "my speakers are currently connected to the sound input port ". NO - maybe this is a typo. spkrs (eg computer spkrs)
should connect to LINE OUT of sound card.
i need to get these details above to help identify the source of your latency.
if you have an sb type sound card try turning off what you hear.
DONT USE MIC INPUT EVER. you need a mic hooked into a mixer feeding
LINE INPUT of sound card.
if you give more details i can help further.
peace.

thanks for the reply..
1. i'm not trying to record midi tracks on the PC yet.. i just bought my midi keyboard yesterday and wanted to play on it to hear the piano sound..
2. i used sony acid 5.0 to test my midi keyboard.. (i actually recorded a lil bit but i had a hard time playing due to midi latency)
3. my midi keyboard is connected to my computer via the USB port.. according to the manual of my keyboard, USB not only powers the keyboard, also works as midi in/out..

i don't have a seperate sound card.. sorry about the typo.. my computer speakers are connected to the green port (for speakers) on my motherboard..

frankly this is a real dogs breakfast.
this is all the wrong gear you have imho. and youll continue to
have problems i feel.

i'm going to step out of this....sorry.

Back