MIDI/Electronic Drum Kit Help

soadperson22

So I am an absolute beginner at this and have run into a dilemma. I am trying to record MIDI drums using my own electronic drum kit.

I am using Garageband on my MAC, a brand new Scarlett 2i4 Interface, and a Roland TD-3 electronic drum kit. The MIDI cable I am using has two identical 5-Pin adapters on either end, except one is orange and one is gray. My drum kit as well as the Scarlett each have one MIDI In and one MIDI Out port. I assumed that I would simply plug one end of the MIDI cable into the MIDI Out port on the drum kit, and plug the other end into the MIDI In port on the Scarlett (in this case I used the orange adapters, and the grey adapters are just hanging loose). I also have the correct inputs and outputs selected in Garageband as well as in my MAC settings. In Garageband, it even says that there is 1 MIDI device available. I have opened a new Software Instrument track in Garageband and have selected a drum kit. But there is nothing happening when I try to play.

Like I said, I'm a beginner so I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing. But any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Hi there,

If you go to Utilities > Audio/Midi Setup, then click 'window' > Show Midi Studio, you'll get an overview of your devices.

You should see your Scarlett interface there and, if you hit a drum, you should see the input arrow for the scarlett lighting up green.
If this is not the case, go no further. Maybe you have the cables the wrong way around? Midi isn't getting to the scarlett.

If this was the case, check Garageband preferences to make sure it's using your Scarlett as an audio, and midi, device.

Hope that helps.

Cool.

For anyone else reading, Utilities is in the Applications folder,
or you can just click spotlight and type 'audio' to get straight to the audio/midi setup app.

Back