Mic input sounds ring-modulated on Roland Edirol UA1-EX audio interface

I have a very old Roland Edirol UA1-EX audio interface which is no longer supported by Roland. However I managed to get it running in "advanced" mode (as opposed to generic USB audio) on a previous laptop with Windows 10 by modifying the driver installer. I have also managed to install the driver on my current laptop, which is running a more recent version of Windows 10. Unfortunately something has changed and the mic input signal, which worked properly on the old laptop, now sounds as if it has been run through a ring modulator.

Obviously if this is a problem that is unique to this particular piece of hardware, then I understand that I am unlikely to find a solution, but could there be some more generic problem here that can be fixed?

The same setup works on a different laptop with Windows 10, but not another laptop with Windows 10? Only difference is the Windows 10 minor version/update numbers?

And, just to be clear, is this when monitoring during recording, present in the recorded WAV file, or both?

Most likely sounds as if you can hear direct sound and software monitoring at the same time.

How does the recorded wav sound?

Thanks for your replies!

I stopped using the old laptop in February, which is a Windows 10 major update ago. I didn't install the driver on the new laptop until last week because I only use the interface when I am away from home.

I tried recording to Audacity ASIO using ASIO and the distortion came through on the recording. I also tried running my DAW (Reaper) through WASAPI instead of ASIO but the distortion was still there.

As soon as you reach the magic number post the audio file so we can download it. Not quite sure what might be happening.

Back