Mbox 2 vs. Mbox 2 Pro (USB 1.1 question)

pisces7378

Hey Gang,

I am going to be buying a new non-linear editing system, and I have narrowed it down to Digidesign's new Mbox 2. Now, I am in a music program at a University, So I get the Mbox 2 Factory Acedemic Version for $475.

My question to you is abotu USB 1.1 vs. Firewire. The Mbox 2 interfaces via USB 1.1, and the Mbox 2 Pro interfaces via Firewiere. Now I know that the bandwidth and overall speed and efficiency for audio is much higher with Firewire over USB 1.1. I was just wondering if you guys could tell me if the USB is fast enough for small projects, or if it is a waste of $475?

My projects will mostly include singer/songwriter kind of stuff. I will record mostly acoustic guitar with a pair of AKG C451B mics, and the lay in a vocal track with my Rhode NTK tube mic. My main concern is simultanious playback tracks and plug-ins. The ProTools LE software that comes with the Mbox 2 Factory (USB 1.1) boasts 32 tracks of playback (128 virtual). I somehow think that 32 tracks is an extreme amount of data flow for USB 1.1 to handle smoothly. I won't get anywhere near 32 tracks, but I do like to add Tamborine, or maybe some hand drums, and some backing vocal tracks.
One of my projects can easily crest into 10-12 tracks of audio. Can USB 1.1 really handle this?

Thanks guys!

Michael

yes, you'll be fine with the Mbox 2

Remember, there is a difference between tracks and channels.
You have to keep in mind that the 32 tracks it talks about....they are all summed to two channels when you play them back. The Mbox 2 only supports 2 output channels. Unlike the 002 which supports 18 channels of output...which would allow you to output individual tracks to their own output channel on the 002.
The Mbox 2 Pro however supports extra input/output channels as well as wordk clock and higher sample rates.

The Mbox, Mbox2 and Mbox2 Pro are all geared towards the small studio musicians. People who only need a few channels of I/O and like to record on the go. Both the Mbox 2 and Pro versions will work fine for whatever you need. Only decide on the Pro if you want firewire, the extra I/O, word clock or support up to 96kHz. Otherwise if it's just you and a guitar...the Mbox 2 should work fine.

Back