Mbox 2 echo question

Psylon

Hey all. So I have an Mbox 2 that I'm currently using to run Pro tools v.8 on my Mac (v. 10.6.8 commonly known as "snow leopard")

I've got 3 gigs of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM that I'm using. My question isn't really about Pro-tools, but a strange thing I've noticed when I'm just tooling around the internet.

Since enabling my Mbox as my primary input/output device for all sounds, I've noticed that sometimes event sounds will get "stuck" on repeat. Things like...emptying my trash bin. Or dragging/dropping a file onto an open window for copying onto a thumb drive. It's like....any time the system will play a noise to let me know that the task is complete, or all files have been deleted...whatever...it will play the same sound over and over again.

It sounds like it's on a digital delay witn 0 decay. Just looping over and over again. I've noticed that I can sometimes get it to stop if I go into my settings and toggle it from Mbox to line in, and then back again. But the next time I do anything that triggers a sound, it happens again. If I turn my computer on and off again, this fixes it for a little while, but after a few hours of use, it starts slowly creeping up again. Is this an issue with needing more RAM? I've heard that Apple likes you to have the same kind of RAM in each slot. So maybe I should upgrade to 4 gigs (2 sticks, 2 gigs each).

I don't know. Thoughts? Theories? I did a search through the forums and couldn't find anything. It's not life threatening. Just...annoying.

How exactly do you have your RAM set up as it is if you're concerned about it? With 3GB, I expected you to either have triple channel memory, or 2 1GB and 2 512MB on dual channel. As long as the 1GB are the same and the 512 are the same and you put the higher amounts in the main channel slots, I shouldn't se any problems to do with that exactly.
3GB is a small amount, but it really depends what you're wanting your computer to do. I wasn't even using a full 4GB before I upgraded to 8GB. I only upgraded to future-proof my machine.

Naw, I have a 1gb stick and a 2 gb stick. But I'll check and see if the higher amount is in the main channel. I've also been meaning to upgrade, and this may be as good an excuse as any.

Your ram config isn't the best that it could be, but irrelevant.

I had this bug also on 10.6.8 with an mbox 2.

I found that going to sys prefs and toggling the clock source 'reset' the loop, but that's hardly a fix.

My memory sucks, but I think it was usually emptying the trash that triggered the problem, so if I remember correctly, I set the interface for audio playback and NOT for system sounds/alerts to make the fault stop.

You might wanna have a look for a newer driver.

Back