maybe OT... video editing?

tf5_bassist

The LouDogg
i really don't know where else to put this... but... i'm looking into being able to do music vids for bands in the local scene... and i know i could get a couple good miniDV cams for cheap, but not all offer SMPTE time codes... i was just wondering if anyone here might possibly know (or at least point me in the right direction) how to insert SMPTE timecodes into a recording, preferably while shooting? I know that with the big budget shoots, all the cams synch up with the master playback for the set... Is there a way to do that with vid signals or embedded midi signals so i don't have to spend $5000 on a cam just for that feature?

ltc is where there's a signal inserted into the video stream, right?

ltc should work just fine... just getting it to synch up with a master playback will be the tough part.

bennychico11 said:
i don't think the metadata in BWF contain SMPTE, does it?

anyway, MiniDV/DV uses MPEG-2 format

Absolutely WRONG.

DV compression has nothing to do with MPEG compression. MPEG compression is also temporal compression (IBP frames). DV is less compressed and only compresses data on a frame by frame basis.

MPEG2 compression maxes out at 1Mbyte/sec and DV goes up to 3.5Mbytes/sec.

Check your info before posting.

To answer the inital posters question - all miniDV camcorders print timecode infor on the tape.

brzilian said:
Absolutely WRONG.

DV compression has nothing to do with MPEG compression. MPEG compression is also temporal compression (IBP frames). DV is less compressed and only compresses data on a frame by frame basis.

MPEG2 compression maxes out at 1Mbyte/sec and DV goes up to 3.5Mbytes/sec.

Check your info before posting.

To answer the inital posters question - all miniDV camcorders print timecode infor on the tape.

damn dude, calm the fuck down
i misread my info. i was reading about HDV
honest mistake

:rolleyes:

Back