Man...I'm really confused now...pls help!

zip

I've got about a grand to spend and was (until recently) SOLD on a digi 001 system...

...8/8 BO box...software - what more do you need??

Then I heard about PC compatability issues (mine is borderline acceptable according to Digi). I heard about upgrades and non-XP / 2000 capabilities. Limited / expensive plug-in's for PC's compared to MAC...

Now I'm lost in a digital recording MESS.

This is what I need for a grand...

-Mostly audio recording capability
-Some good midi capability
-Good quality AD/DA converters
-Ease of use (relative)

What I'm considering...

- Delta 1010 combo'ed with eMagic Logic Gold
- Delta 1010 combo'ed with Cubase VST
- MOTU 828 w/ eM Gold / Cubase
- MOTU 1224 w/ eM Gold / Cubase
- Digi 001

Man I am confused. I tried to download a demo of the Logic Gold...not offered. I've used Cakewalk and find it easy. I tried Protools free and it crashed so I gave up (I don't think it's my PC I think the file was corrupt)

Things I like about what I know...

- The MOTU has the sound card built in and I like the semi-portability aspect of that. I hear the PT LE software is easy to use. I like the better track count and MIDI support from eMagic software... The eMagic software will support my current plugins I LIKE. (Direct X...I bought some pricy ones)

So - this is the question. Based on you're experiences and what I have said...

What would you recommend for a grand (give or take a few hundred)

All opinions based on usage / experience very much welcomed and appreciated!!

zip >>

ps...My PC is a PIII 550MHz w/ 256meg SD Ram and a 10 gig hard drive (7200 / 66MHz) I will soon have to replace because it is too small...

Any of the first two options are proven winners. The rest are unprioven although MOTU stuff is normally top-of-the-line in the terms of quality and I doubt you coudl go far wrong. Also the 828 is a firewire device. Do you have firewire support on your PC?

I would say the forst two are the best. Personally I am a Cubase 5 man myself bu LA is also great. If it were me I would buy the Delta 1010 (it only has one midi port btw so buy a cheap midi interface if you need lots of midi IO) and Cubase (which of course also supports Direct X plugins).

firewire support...

I realize I would need a firewire card but I have an open PCI slot and I hear they are inexpensive.

Thanks AlChem... :)

I've heard mostly all good stuff about the Delta 1010. Hopefully I can afford one in the future myself. Be careful of the software & OS you choose, tho. Make positively sure that you've got complete compatibility (incl. drivers). NTFS OS's (Win2k, NT, XP) are faster, but not as well supported by hardware manufacturers yet. FAT32 OS's are more mainstream with more available, but you run the risk of it being obselete in the future. Decisions decisions.....

Well, I personally don't know anyone with Win XP, 2k etc who actually have the hard drive set to NTFS. So don't worry about that just yet. No-one ever sets their drive to NTFS at the moment. FAT 32 is just fine.

Alchemist3k said:
Well, I personally don't know anyone with Win XP, 2k etc who actually have the hard drive set to NTFS. So don't worry about that just yet. No-one ever sets their drive to NTFS at the moment. FAT 32 is just fine.

i did... i won't ever do that again. Fat32 is just fine. one card that contends with the delta1010 vey good, and i think uses the same converters is the STAUDIO C-PORT. at only $399 its is awesome. you can all the expansion stuff to it and spend the same amount as the other cards you have listed... umm something to think about i guess.

lats week i tryed to install a digi 001 under XPPro... no luck. i did get it to work under 98se though. and yes its true you won't have as many plugins using a pc compaired to a mac using the digi 001.

Alchemist3k said:
This is what I need for a grand...

-Mostly audio recording capability
-Some good midi capability
-Good quality AD/DA converters
-Ease of use (relative)

What I'm considering...

- Delta 1010 combo'ed with eMagic Logic Gold
- Delta 1010 combo'ed with Cubase VST
- MOTU 828 w/ eM Gold / Cubase
- MOTU 1224 w/ eM Gold / Cubase
- Digi 001

i myself would go with the Delta or the motu(also look at the Motu 2408) if you can go with Cubase vst/32 and/or Nuendo. i like logic too. you will always see polls on cubase VS logic... i perfer cubase myself.

Some other cards maybe to check out...

Aardvark Q10
RME :D
StAudio(best for the price)
Echo Layla
other Motu's

hmmmmmmmm....

More to think about. The reason I am leaning towards the MOTU is the sound card is in the outboard...making it more "portable". I have a friend who plays drums in our band who has a killer PC. If I buy the MOTU I can take it to where we practice to record. A big plus vs. having to haul the whole PC.

decisions...decisions... :)

Umm...doesn't that MOTU unit require a PCI interface? I'm pretty sure it does unless it's USB or something. The converters and DSP hardware might be located in the breakout box, but it'll still need a PCI interface to hook up to.

Slackmaster 2000

c9...

went to the motu site (again) and the 828 is the only motu interface with the card built it...but it is not expandable!! Why do they do that?? Seperate card = expandible. Inclosed card = not. Arrrgggg!

Slack...

you are right on man. All Motu's are firewire or audiowire and require a firewire I/O card inserted into an open PCI slot. Not a bad 50 - 70 dollar investment...a small price to pay (twice:)) to use the unit on two PC's...

And I just happen to have one lonely little PCI slot.... :)

I tell ya - you need a friggin digital pHD to get all this straight and buy the right thing for the long term....

zip >>

What's in all your other PCI slots? Do you need it all? Maybe it's time for a motherboard upgrade, to one with more PCI slots.

I haven't seen any 8I/O card with a "portable" interface, e.g. USB. Almost all of them have a PCI card to which the breakoutbox connects.

Seems like firewire is the way to go for you. Or, look into e.g. the Hoontec c-port. This card is a PCI board and a breakout box (costs about US$4-500 bundled with Logic Audio SW). A second PCI card costs about $200. I'm sure there are other setups where you can buy a secon PCI card.

The MOTU 828 is the only one that could really be considered to be that portable.

As for expandability, most sotware will allow you to have more than one card on the go. In Sound on Sound the MOTU Advert says you can up to 4 828s on the go! So the 828 seems like the best option based on your needs.

BTW, I hope your drummer has a lot of mics.... budget for them.

The 828....

Wooooo Hooooo!!!!

I'm leaning toward the 828 and I think what was just posted really helps solidify it! I eventually want a MAC G4 / 828 / Digital Performer system so I'm trying not to throw much cash into my current PC. Too bad DP doesn't work with Windows...:(

Alchem...

I totally forgot about the ability to use multiple 828's!! Great point! 4 firewire inputs per card....duh... :)

about the mics...

The DRUMMER can buy his own stuff! ;) I run sound / record for them gratis out of the goodness of my heart...(plus I REALLY LIKE doing it!!)

I always bring my mics to use but drum mics??? I guess he'll have to cough up money for some 57's and a floor tom / kick mic. He's got an excellent snare mic but at this time I can't remember what it is...

....more coffee please!!! :)

Thanks!! zip >>

Back