Mackie Onyx Pre Amps VS. Yamaha 01V96 VS. MOTU's HD896

xiwiwix

Do you think the Onxy Pre Amps are better than the Yamaha 01V96? What about compared to MOTU's HD896?

I'm about ready to upgrade from a MOTU MK II 828 and a Presonus Digi LT, I want more inputs and better pres. I want fat sound with clarity, using for metal bands so drums, guitars, bass guitar, and vocals.

Personally, the Motu's preamps are pretty "blah" sounding. Not really that bad, just nbothing special at all. The Onyx preamps are actually surprisingly nice for a low budget mixer. I also like the yamah O1V96's preamps OK. I think I like the sound of the yamaha better, but the Mackie is a bit more "forgiving".

The True P-Solo is certainly a pretty decent little preamp, definately a little more open than both the Mackie or the Yamaha. Then again it also costs considerably more so may be prohibitive in the cost department. Byt the time you buy a dozen P-Solo's (assuming you can run that many simulataneously on a system....) you could have easily bought a used console that sounds MUCH better, and has more channels, killer EQ's, aux sends, 16 to 24 busses, etc...

Thats a pretty tough call. When comparing the 03D and the 828, you are really just trying to choose the lesser of two evils. In this scenario I would probably stick with the MOTU. If nothing else for the conversion. The 03D is one of yamaha's very first digital consoles from about 10 years ago. There really is nothing too flattering about it. Things have changed a lot since then. There is actually a pretty considerable difference in the yamaha sound just over the last 2 to 3 years. There is a pretty good reason why the 03D and even the original 01V and 02R is so darned cheap on the used market.... They just don't sound that good....

studiomaster said:
True systems P-solo sounds really nice...
Also something a bit cheaper, yet dual channel...check out the FMR RNP...

Do you have a P-Solo? I'm digging mine. I wouldn't call it "fat" (as the poster is looking for), but it's open and clear to my ears. Best pre I've owned and I could never go back to low-end again (M-audio, SP, etc). My next step would be a high-end with flavor (almost got the Great River, but it was a wee bit too much for my budget).

warble2 said:
Do you have a P-Solo? I'm digging mine. I wouldn't call it "fat" (as the poster is looking for), but it's open and clear to my ears. Best pre I've owned and I could never go back to low-end again (M-audio, SP, etc). My next step would be a high-end with flavor (almost got the Great River, but it was a wee bit too much for my budget).

I'm just saving up some cash for a good pre. Currently, I'm satisfied with my MOTU pres, but I would like an independent preamp. Grace 101, P-Solo and a few others...i'm really digging them... ;)

Back