Mackie Onyx and Emu 0404

Hello all, nice to be here and wonder if you could help with a problem.

I have the Mackie Onyx 1620i but the firewire has been failing over the last couple of years despite changing firewire cards, cables and even the PC.
I decided to ditch the firewire connection and just use the Mackie as a mixer connected to an EMU 0404.

The issue is the cabling, I currently have it connected like this.

Control Room Out to monitors.
Emu Outs to Channel 9 in the Mackie.
Emu Ins fed by Tape out from the Mackie.

This OK to an extent (and lets me use the Control Room Volume nob which is very handy)
but if I record say, a vocal over a backing track, the backing track is bleeding thru as well (not from the mic)

Can anybody suggest a better way of wiring this combination?

Thanks a lot,
Mike

Checked the pdf and tape out's are the same as L/R Main outs. The channel inserts can be used as direct outs. That gets you just the signal in that ch. to send to your record inputs.

Shoot... actually ya know Mackie is real good at laying out all the dif routing situations in their manuals..

The mixer is probably not designed to keep your playback channels separated from the recorded channels unless you are using the firewire connection. Why are you bringing the 0404 Outs to chnl 9? Why not to the Tape In? You might try deselecting Assign to Main Mix if it is on. Other than that, get the firewire connection working again. That's what the board is designed to record with.

good luck.

Chili, that's exactly what I did, put the firewire back in as the convenience of the firewire/mixer cant be ignored.
I tried all kinds of combinations inc tape in/outs and couldn't get it exactly as I wanted with the Emu. (pristine sound though)
The problem is there will be another crash in the future and apparently the Mackie firewire cards aren't in production any more.
Thanks for the help,
Mike

Chili, that's exactly what I did, put the firewire back in as the convenience of the firewire/mixer cant be ignored.
I tried all kinds of combinations inc tape in/outs and couldn't get it exactly as I wanted with the Emu. (pristine sound though)
The problem is there will be another crash in the future and apparently the Mackie firewire cards aren't in production any more.
Thanks for the help,
Mike

When you have problems with your firewire card, you can try different firewire drivers to see if there is a difference. In my line of work, the driver is the first thing we try to get firewire cards to work. I deal with it on a daily basis. It's almost always firewire drivers.

My Computer>Right Click> Manage> Device Manager> IEEE 1394>Right Click on FW card>Update Driver>Browse...>Let me pick...> go through all drivers available until it works for you.

Don't expect Windows to always pick the best driver for your card.

Hi Chili, I'm IT manager and Studio manager in an educational establishment so have been through the usual troubleshooting avenues.
The problem is intermittent (always a pain in the arse) but I've tried 3 different firewire cards with different chipsets in the pc and changed the pc:)
When the crash happens it's accompanied by a high pitched tone, I'm assuming because the firewire stream has been interrupted.

Any views on this?
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Chili, I'm IT manager and Studio manager in an educational establishment so have been through the usual troubleshooting avenues.
The problem is intermittent (always a pain in the arse) but I've tried 3 different firewire cards with different chipsets in the pc and changed the pc:)
When the crash happens it's accompanied by a high pitched tone, I'm assuming because the firewire stream has been interrupted.

Any views on this?
Thanks,
Mike

Have you tried it with a different PC? Might be PC hardware related.

Back