MACKIE D8B OR PENTIUM 4 PC?

Napoleon Solo

The Mackie looks great and very upgradable. But should I get a Pentium 4 processor and go the PC route?

Mackie is $9K while a Pentium 4 with good sound card, cdrw, etc is $3K.

I love faders and hands on and really hate using a mouse for everything (you don't feel a part of the process).

Thanks.

I'm the kind of person that would go out and spend the 3k for the computer but then a week later I would go out try to scrape up that 9k and buy the makie system??? so sorry I can't help you...

well go with the computer now...get you a record deal...get an advance...and buy the mackie...:) that should make it alot easier

I wouldn't recommend getting a P-IV until (a) chipsets and motherboards settle down and become readily available, (b) the soundcard and music software guts have a chance to test and troubleshoot the inevitable problems that crop up with hardware advancements, and (c) the price comes down from the stratosphere.

That is, unless you're adventurous and don't mind being a pioneer... but you probably won't get much recording done for a while...

-AlChuck

first of all: john: i sure hope so...

and yeah, i'm a junior member now!!!

pretty cool he;-)

you said it yourself NS,
you like the faders and hate the mouse. and you don't seem to care about spending $9K.
buy the Mackie...
or give it to me then i would hire John to come and build my little studio.. :))

guhlenn

P3 & P4 Prices

The P4 chip is going for $600, while the P3 chip went for $900. The P3 *should* come way down but who knows in this crazy, "Gore Won't Go" world.

Gore's little plea last night on TV was sad. He looked sweaty-face and frantic - just the kind of "President" we need in some kind of crisis. Gore - pack it in.

You have to read about the D8B. One bad thing for me (I'm an assistant engineer working in post production for film) is the D8B is "Move Sensitive" and not "Touch Sensitive" .

I dont know in music, but in film, it's really a pain somewhere, because sometimes, you have to just "tweak" a bit a fader, but the D8B just do not take it until you move like a half of inche (apprx) before it going to record it.... and when you try to just "wake up" the automation for activate the writting mode for the fader, it will record the "wake up move" so you have to go back in the sequence manualy and remove all the bad stuff.... But the D8B have a lot of good adventage... Take your time, browse the net and read, read read!

Good luck

Pierre
Montreal, Canada

yeah man it looks really great!
it costs a lot too...

now you made want it generic and i can't afford it! you're to blame.

Shame on you! ;)
guhlenn

Back