Mackie Control Universal Pro LCD display dimming, still a problem??

scottmusic22

Hey people! I was planning on getting the MCU Pro after realizing that there aren't really any other options for control surfaces that would work for me except for the Behringer X-Touch which is set to release soon.
It seems the MCU Pros are very deeply and intuitively integrated with Logic, and the build quality, faders, etc. are all pretty great.

Seems perfect for what I want, but there is one MAJOR problem that I keep seeing online, and I would really like to know if it's been resolved by the people making these. Many people have said that the LCD display apparently continues dimming until it eventually (usually after a year or two) goes off. I assumed this was an earlier problem that's since been fixed, but someone said that their MCUP that came with the version 4.0.2 firmware had this problem, and they are only on 4.0.3 now so this seems to be problem with more recent ones as well as older ones. If anyone can give me some insight on this, it would be greatly appreciated! If Mackie hasn't acknowledged or fixed this problem, I will probably have to wait and go with the Behringer X-Touch instead, which sucks because I need a controller ASAP as I'm mixing everyday so far this summer and my wrist is definitely suffering.

If any of you have newer MCU Pros that have not experienced any dimming, or that have for that matter, then let me know! I really want this product, but buying something for $1000 that I know will break in a few years is something I refuse to do.

Help me out here, thanks.

-Scott

Hello Scott- I know this is an old thread, but I figured it might help to respond anyway.

In short, yes the LCD backlights are still a problem. I have 1 MCU Pro and 3 extenders, all running the latest firmware 4.0.3. All 4 units have had the backlights dim and then fail. A new LCD module from Mackie is right around $100, and will fail again.

It's really a shame, as I like the units quite a bit otherwise. In PT11 you are strongly advised to hook each unit to your computer separately on it's own MIDI interface - I recommend the Roland UM-1 mkii.

But back to the LCD issues. I found 2 better ways to fix the backlights. Both methods involve modding the MCU Pro or extender. It is up to you whether it is worth it to mod a new control surface.

The first method is to get aftermarket electroluminescent strips from backlights4u.com. I put a 4.7k resistor in line to hopefully make them last longer.

The second method, and one I am working on now, is to replace the EL backlights with LED fiber optic sheet. If you want to know more about this, pm me and I'll describe it as it's much more involved but ultimately more reliable.

Good Luck!

Query: backlight4you EL-Panel (Product No.:EL-Ppi-wh-19.5x222-sl)

Hi Zendrum,

I'm very interested about what you've written in regards to fixing the LCD backlights.

I have a MCU Pro as well as the Extender unit and both of the LCD backlights have died.

Purchasing two new LCD screens is going to cost an absolute fortune.

I am wondering, have you personally installed the backlight4you EL-Panel (Product No.:EL-Ppi-wh-19.5x222-sl) on your units?

If so, is there any advice you can offer or are there any tricks worth noting?

My repair man has urged me to not go with this option but rather just purchase brand new replacement LCD screens. I'd ideally like to avoid this as I really don't want to spend this type of money on two new LCD screens. He claims that it’s very difficult to install just the backlight as to remove the old one, he'd have undo the rubber contacts, that they are very hard to realign and put the right amount of pressure on while putting it back together and if one or more contacts doesn’t line up the LCD Screen then won’t work.

Any thoughts or tips?

Kind Regards,
William.

Back