Mackie Big Knob + Babyface Pro

GotHemi

The Mackie Big Knob has a built-in phono preamp that I would like to use with my turntable, along with 2x stereo source inputs & DAW Input & Output.

I haven't purchased the Mackie Big Knob yet, so I'm asking if it can do what I want beforehand.

The Babyface Pro has 4x analog inputs (2x xlr - 2x trs) & 4x analog outputs (2x xlr - 2x headphones), along with adat in.

The Mackie Big Knob manual mentions going out from the Big Knob & into the Babyface. Then, out from the Babyface & into the Big Knob.

My JBL monitors would be plugged into the Big Knob using Monitor A inputs, coming from main XLR outputs 1 & 2 on the Babyface Pro.

I would have a Bass Station mono synth plugged into analog input #3 of the Babyface Pro.

The sources I would like to have connected to the Big Knob are the turntable (connected to the phono preamp) & a JP-8000 stereo synth (connected to Source A)

Since audio needs to feed the Big Knob from the Babyface, then from the Big Knob back into the Babyface, would it cause a feedback loop everytime I wanted to route & record audio from the turntable or JP8000 into the computer?

What I would like to do is: Have a drum break on loop inside FL Studio 12, then record a sample off the turntable into FL Studio and have it play on loop with the drums. Finally, I'd like to play a pad sound from the JP-8000 in real time with the drums & sample as a backing & finally record the JP-8000 audio onto a separate track. So I'd end up with 3 separate tracks inside FL Studio 12 (the original drum loop, recorded vinyl sample loop & a JP 8000 pad loop). Rinse & repeat until song is finished, without having feedback loop problems.

I didn't want to buy something like a Behringer ADA 8200 unless I absolutely have to, because it would be just something else extra to buy, plug in & run cables to & from.

Thanks for any help!

TBH...I kinda lost you reading through everything...it's easier when you have all the equipment in front of you with it's I/O.

Consider what you need, and stick to a basic hook-up.
What I mean is...sometimes you look at a piece of gear and there's like 20 different I/O options...and we often feel a need to connect them all, use them all...but in reality, we end up using just a couple. :D

So that aside...just follow your signal paths. When I first got into more involved studio setups...I use to always take a piece of paper-n-pencil...draw each piece of equipment (just a rectangle box will do), and mark all its inputs and outputs.
Then draw lines from Box 1 outputs to Box 2 inputs...etc...etc....until you have all the I/Os mapped and they make sense to you. If something doesn't look right, erase and think it out again.
Always think about signal paths and where they are going.

You'll figure it out for yourself...and you will simultaneously end up with a better understanding of your gear and how it's hooked up.
AFA any audio loops...once you hook things up...just start with your levels real low...and if you hear any feedback, then you can check it out and see what's causing it.

Speaking of the Big Knob...I just picked up the new Big Knob Passive...which is just for two sources and two monitors, and a couple of options. I'm liking it so far.
I first tried the Behringer Monitor2USB...it had more features...but I didn't care for the headphone options (sounded dark)...and I thought it had a 3-srouce/3-monitor setup...but the third output was a single mono...which was kinda dumb, considering there was a mono button on there. Also, the switching sucked...you had disengage one source or monitor and then engage the other...so you couldn't just flip with one switch between A/B/C...you always had that momentary audio outage....pretty stupid design, IMO. I returned it and got the Big Knob Passive...very tone friendly due to its passive design, unlike the Behringer, which is active (another negative for me).

What I mean is...sometimes you look at a piece of gear and there's like 20 different I/O options...and we often feel a need to connect them all, use them all...but in reality, we end up using just a couple. :D

+1.

The big knob appears to have inputs and outputs per source, though, and you don't have to monitor them all so I don't see why it couldn't be used as a phono preamp, in addition to its other duties.
You shouldn't get a feedback loop because, when not monitored, the phono preamp should effectively be a separate device.

It sounds like maybe you want to monitor the turntable and DAW for latency reasons? I doubt you'll need to but, if you do, just mute the turntable track inside your DAW.
That way, you'll be hearing it direct and also recording it.

Either
Big Knob set to DAW monitor, turntable to phono input - phono output to interface - Interface to stereo track in DAW.
Or
Big Knob set to Phono + DAW monitor, turntable to phono input - phono output to interface - Interface to muted stereo track in DAW.

You can do the same for your stereo synth but I'm not sure the reason. I'd just run it straight into the interface.

Back