Mackie 1402-VLZ3 - having a problem sending Aux Send to microphone input on lap top.

garymgordon

Mackie 1402-VLZ3 - having a problem sending Aux Send to microphone input on lap top.

I am producing a podcast and interviewing people. I have my own (main) computer and I have a separate lap top for use in connecting to Skype and bringing Skype calls into my Mackie 1402.

I have the headphone output on the lap top going into MIC 4 on the board. I then have the AUX SEND 2 going out to the microphone input on the lap top.

Note: Everything from the board is going out via the TAPE OUT (R / L) to my Marantz digital audio recorder, which records everything.

I also have 3 Heil PR 40 microphones running in on MIC 1, 2 and 3.

The sound from Skype (coming in from the lap top, into MIC 4) sounds fine. And I'm using a mix minus setup so that the person on Skype doesn't hear themselves.

But here's the problem:

The audio coming out of the AUX SEND 2 (when I put my headphone jack in there) sounds fine. But when I put a 1/4 mono plug into the AUX SEND 2 and bring it into the lap top using a stereo mini plug, .. the audio that the person on Skype hears is terrible. It sounds all broken up.

I'm not sure what is wrong.

Any advice? I've already tried variations on the cable going out from the Mackie to the lap top, meaning I've tried using a stereo 1/4 to a mono mini plug, stereo 1/4 to stereo mini plug, mono 1/4 to mono mini plug, mono 1/4 to stereo mini plug. But nothing makes it better.

Any thoughts?

Gary Gordon

You're sending a line level output to a mic level input. It's probably a gross level mismatch which is driving the mic input to distortion. Add to that the balanced/unbalanced interfacing issues. A proper audio interface with line level inputs would probably solve your problem.

Reply to bouldersoundguy

You're sending a line level output to a mic level input. It's probably a gross level mismatch which is driving the mic input to distortion. Add to that the balanced/unbalanced interfacing issues. A proper audio interface with line level inputs would probably solve your problem.

First, thank you very much for your reply.

How can I set up a "proper audio interface with line level inputs"???

Is there any way to come out of the Mackie 1402 (from some point) so I can go into the mic level input?

If not, what do I need to accomplish what you described .. so I can then go into the input on the laptop (so it will correctly send the audio signal into the laptop and into Skype)??

Can you explain? I apologize, but I am not familiar with what to do and need "step by step" guidance .. if you wouldn't mind advising me.

Thanks,
Gary

there's pretty much nowhere on that Mackie you can send to a mic input.
All of the outputs on the Mackie are line level as far as I know. You need to use the line input to your computer if there is one.
If not you need to buy an interface that can take the line level from your mixer and send it to your puter ........ probably via USB and then you bypass the crummy soundcard in your puter altogether.

In one or two emergencies I've sent an aux out of a mixer into a mic level input by simply turning down the Aux send to the point that you barely see any signal on the metering. It can work...sort of...but it's not very controllable. (In case anyone is wondering what sort of emergency, on a few occasions vidiots with consumer cameras--i.e. ones with mic input only--have realised too late they need a proper audio feed.)

Anyhow, as a stop gap, try reducing the Aux level by around 50dB on the Send control.

However, as you can see, this is a real bodge.

As others have said, built in sound cards on any modern computer or laptop are total rubbish. They are NOT designed to handle any more than playin back videos and plugging in a $5 mic to make Skype phone calls.

The real solution is to purchase an external USB audio interface. Depending on the facilities you need, they're not expensive (basic ones start under $100) and will give you real line level inputs with the right connectors, control over monitoring etc. I'll stop short of recommending specific interfaces until we know more about your needs but I'm sure we can "step by step" you through it once we have more details.

Actually, those little Mackies can switch the main output to mic level.

The simplest thing would be to just turn down the aux send master. You'd have to use Aux 1 as Aux 2 doesn't have a master level knob.

The best thing to do would be buy a USB audio interface.

Follow up

Thanks for all the input.

Based on that, I ordered: StarTech.com 7.1 USB Audio Adapter External Sound Card with SPDIF Digital Audio Sound Cards ICUSBAUDIO7D (from Amazon).

I just wanted to make sure that this looks okay.

Do you think this will help? If not, what other external sound card (USB) would you suggest I get and use with my laptop?

Gary

No, that's not really what you need. It has a line in so it would be very slightly better--but it's a gamers/home theatre box, not one designed for recording uses.

I'm afraid it's a bit more money but something like THIS is more what you need

cool .... how would I do that?
I have several little Mackies and I was unaware of such a feature so how does I do it?

It's not on all of them but, on the ones that do have it (like the 1402 mentioned in this thread) it's a switch on the back adjacent to the main outs.

Bobbsy, ... switching this (on the back of the unit) will actually do what? Can you explain further what would happen? (Thanks for this info as well).

It switches the main stereo output of the mixer from line level to microphone level (i.e. about 50dB lower). However, it's only the main outs that are changed and, if I've read your needs correctly, won't help at all with the Aux feed you want to use since you're using the main outs (or at least the tape out version) for your recording.

Ok. Well, I have the device you recommended coming to me tomorrow, so I'll give that a shot before I start tampering with anything else. You've been awesome. Thanks a lot.

Thanks for all the input.

Based on that, I ordered: StarTech.com 7.1 USB Audio Adapter External Sound Card with SPDIF Digital Audio Sound Cards ICUSBAUDIO7D (from Amazon).

Bobbsy is right. You need something with professional line level inputs on balanced connectors. The line input on the above interface has one but it's going to be consumer line level which could clip with a pro line level signal, though not as easily as your mic input. Plus you'll have to adapt the balanced to unbalanced signal. Get the Lexicon or similar and a balanced 1/4" cable.

Alex,
Thanks for the idea. I will try this. But I was just curious "why" this helped? I was curious with the cable not in "all the way" if this could cause a problem in losing the signal all together if it popped out. Is there any other way to get the same result, but without pulling the cable out like this? Any thoughts? I guess it just makes me nervous to pull the cable out of the socket like that .. for fear it could move slightly and I'd lose the signal doing this. Any thoughts or comments?
Gary

Don't get drawn into kludge solutions that probably won't solve your problem. If you want to connect your device with pro line level output to your computer get an interface with pro line level input.

boulder sound guy,
Thanks. I already purchased the unit that was recommended, the Lexicon and it works good. Thanks to everyone for this. And thanks for your help. :-)
Gary

PS: I'm having a problem with my Telos phone unit, similar to this, and I'm going to create a separate post since this one's getting long and since it's a slightly different issue, but I'm betting I'll just need to so things similar to what I did here. hahaha But it's a little different.

Back