Which macbook pro should i buy?

paokz

Hello guys recently i sold my old i5 desktop pc that i had it with audient audio card and im thinking of buying mac but im on those three choises

Macbbok pro late 2013 13" i5
Macbbok pro late 2013 13" i7 dual core
Macbbok pro late 2013 15" i7 quad core
all these with 8gb ram and 256 ssd

We are in 2017 so i dont know how much the things changed
I will use apogee element or presonus quantum 2 with thunderbolt
I want on pro tools just 9-10 tracks with effects and a master bus compiled by slate plugins
I want to record my vocals with these tracks with maybe a nice reverb without stucking or cpu spikes
and my budget is more close to the first 2 choises but should i go with the i7 quad core?

Hi there,

From the description of your workload, I really don't think it will matter.
My previous MacBook Pro was a 2011 13" 2.3ghz i5 with SSD and I ran pretty heavy sessions on it.

Live drum tracking then mixing was a total doddle so I really don't see you having issues.

If you intend to do any video editing or anything like that then maybe the extra HP would be good, but for audio I think you're good either way.

So if i will do just a little video editing with premiere pro 13" is not good?
For pro tools 13" is good screen or you need bigger?
Cause with my 15" laptop acer aspire 5750g and audient the audio was stucking all the time so im afraid maybe with the macbook happens the same..I had just 4 tracks and i was going to record one more and it was stucking!!

Nah, it'll be fine.
I just mean if video editing is your thing and you do regular intensive work, the more powerful machine would probably be good.

I'm happy enough with the 13". Everyone's different, I guess, but I don't use my MBP for audio very often.
When I do, 13" is fine.

If it was my main machine and I used it for PT every day, I'd probably still buy 13" (for portability) and hook up a monitor. :p
It's personal preference, really.

Cause with my 15" laptop acer aspire 5750g and audient the audio was stucking all the time so im afraid maybe with the macbook happens the same..I had just 4 tracks and i was going to record one more and it was stucking!!

No reason that should happen.
Make sure the interface you'll be using is supported on the specific OS version.
Other than that, you should be good. :)

I’d try to find one with 16GB of RAM if possible. Not sure of the video card in those but a big monitor is nice.

I recently upgraded to a 2017 15" macbook pro - BUT certainly not because my old computer was too slow.

before I used to own a 2012 15" retina macbook pro and it was plenty enough!!
I have a GSR24M console connected and I often run larger projects and there have never been any issues! The old mac was always doing it with ease.

Even video editing was pretty smooth - only with larger 4K projects with quite some animations I see a huge difference with my new book.

I sold my 2012 one to a friend for who is an audio engineer for 1K and he's loving it :)

But yes 16GB would a good thing

We did the same thing ^^ :)
I sold my 2011 MBP for two reasons - Resale value was very good at that time, and 5-6 years is getting on for a computer.
I'd no reason to think it would suddenly break but resale would take a hell of a hit it something failed so I took the jump.

Has to be said, though, there was nothing I wanted it to do that it couldn't do.
From my perspective, all I got was younger hardware for a modest price.

Back