Which Mac Notebook for location recording

jgourd

I have been using a Dell Insperon for a few years doing mobile recording. I am thinking that perhaps a used iBook might do a little better for me.

If anyone has experience with an iBook let me know. I need to know what the recommended hardware configuration is before I start hittin' eBay for decent machines.

My current interface is an M-Audio 410 and a Hammerfall HDSP.

I'd recommend a Powerbook. It has a higher bus speed, which allows more data flow that could prove useful in multi-tracking. Just throwing the idea out there. A G4 iBook would put up a good fight with a Dell though... I've heard/seen nothing but bad things about Inspirons.

The Inspeon was recommended by RME for use with the Hammerfall and I have no problems in that respect.

When I got the Firewire interface is when I noticed subtle glitches. The Dell won't power the 410 but I bet the Mac would.

jgourd said:
I have been using a Dell Insperon for a few years doing mobile recording. I am thinking that perhaps a used iBook might do a little better for me.

If anyone has experience with an iBook let me know. I need to know what the recommended hardware configuration is before I start hittin' eBay for decent machines.

My current interface is an M-Audio 410 and a Hammerfall HDSP.

You do realize Apple will switch over to Intel processors on all systems, especially laptops in the next 2 years, right?

I would rather stick with Intel/MS at this point and see what develops. All Apple laptops are G4 based (in other words, outdated) currently and I see no reason for Apple to push for a G5 laptop given the end of its relationship with IBM.

I'd get the new Intel Centrino PowerBook coming out next year. Judging by Intel's roadmap, it'll more than likely have a dual core Pentium M at 2Ghz+

Yes, I know all about the move to Intel. Since this will be a lightweight notebook for stereo recordings only, I was thinking that $500 worth of used Mac would be suffice.

What processor do you have in your Dell?

A 500Mhz processor is going to be kind of hurting in OS X.

The dell is 1.2MHz. The processor speed is not the bottleneck in the Dell, its the chipset.

One more reason for the Mac is that it's Firewire ports can support powering up my interface which means that when I do room tone and location sound effects recordings for film, I don't need to find a way to power up the interface and mic pres.

jgourd said:
The dell is 1.2MHz. The processor speed is not the bottleneck in the Dell, its the chipset.
I'll assume you meant 1.2GHz. And if so, I'll further assume it's a Pentium M. In which case, it would behoove you to deal with the need to locate external power for your other gadgets. Can you not get a CardBus firewire card?

I've run OS X on a 333mHz iMac. The 500 will work, though it won't be lightning quick. I have no idea how it will perform, either, but it might work. Sorry I can't be any more help than that, but I've never run audio apps on a machine like that. We do run Video editing software on a 400 PowerMac, but that's a Powermac not an iMac.

Take care,
Chris

elevate said:
I'll assume you meant 1.2GHz. And if so, I'll further assume it's a Pentium M. In which case, it would behoove you to deal with the need to locate external power for your other gadgets. Can you not get a CardBus firewire card?

The CardBus itself doesn't have the current to power up the 410. Right now I have a 12 volt battery that I sling over my shoulder with an inverter to power everything. The thought of powering everything off of the notebook is so enticing.

When it comes to DAWs I am not pro or anti Macs or PCs. They are just tools. You buy the interface you want and the software you want. Then you try to find a host computer that is going to work with the two flawlessly.

A friend is going to loan me his 800MHz iBook for a few days to see if it is enough machine to do the job. Now I have to see if the Cubase SX3 DVD-ROM has the Mac version on it so I can just use what I always use.

If it doesn't, what is a decent recording app for the Mac? Remember, I am not doing multi-track on the machine.

I think you're better off and saving your money for a used G4 iBook. Or are you a student? ASU students can get a 1.2Ghz 12" iBook w/ combo drive for $750. That includes the AppleCare. Not a bad deal.

Back