Mac Mini??

NewEra

What is your honest opinion on the new mac mini? I got one for Christmas, and have been using it mainly for making music and graphic design. I'm really liking the performance of it. And I recently found I can upgrade my RAM to 16 gb for 100 bucks.. Is this really worth the 100 bucks as far as music production goes?

Hey.
The new mac minis are fantastic. I'm a big fan.

I put 16gb in my late 2011 mac book pro recently. So far it has proved to be overkill but I only had 4gb before and figured why upgrade to 8gb and always wonder, right?
Maybe the 16gb would be more useful for video editing?

Absolutely love mine, though my previous Mini - with Snow Leopard - was much more stable. Currently running ProTools 9 and Logic 9 on a Mac Mini i5, 2.5 GHtz, 8GB RAM, dual 500 GB HDD's (one internal, one external), OSX 10.7.5.

Be careful about Mountain Lion if you're planning on running PT. ProTools 9.0.5 and higher are supported in public beta on Lion; anything older is a no-go and Mountain Lion has issues. Of course, Logic 8 and 9 run fine on just about anything.

Be careful about Mountain Lion if you're planning on running PT. ProTools 9.0.5 and higher are supported in public beta on Lion; anything older is a no-go and Mountain Lion has issues. Of course, Logic 8 and 9 run fine on just about anything.

Wow. Running PT 9.0.6 in ML 10.8.2 flawlessly here.
Skipped straight from SL to ML though, so I can't speak for Lion.

Absolutely love mine, though my previous Mini - with Snow Leopard - was much more stable. Currently running ProTools 9 and Logic 9 on a Mac Mini i5, 2.5 GHtz, 8GB RAM, dual 500 GB HDD's (one internal, one external), OSX 10.7.5.

Yea, I really wanted to get Pro Tools, but saw that there were some issues and didnt really want to take the chance at all, so got Logic 9.

Back