Mac Memory upgrade?

yeahboye

I use DP4 on a g5 Powermac with a Motu 828mkII.

I am working on a song right now that uses about 30 or more tracks, averaging about 2 digital pugins per track. This song is a big motherfucker (>7 gigs!)
Anyway, the project has become sluggish (no doubt due to the shameless plug in use; and no I don't overuse them anymore). It chokes up at times, and is slow most of the time, even with the buffer size huge. I still have to record at least ten more tacks on the bitch!

I have 512M DDR SDRAM on each of the 1.8 ghz processors. I am thinking about getting another gig (another 512M for each).

Do you think this will solve the problem? Or at least help?

What else could help?

Thanks in advance,
Tom.

Yes, upgrading to at least 2 gig of ram would give you smoother performance with DP. I use DP 4.6 on a dual G5 with 2.5 GB of ram (the stock 512 along with two additional gig chips), and get very good results with 24+ tracks with a couple plugs on each. Make sure your buffer is set at 1024 when you're done tracking (if your using VI's and the like), and its time for mixing and using the realtime insert processing plugs. (Which it sounds like you said you were doing.) The # of tracks and plugs you can run in DP is also dependant on your CPU's speed, and a dual 1.8 should be fine.

That should do the trick. Apple states that for heavy audio applications (DP, Logic) you should have between 1.5 to 2.5 GB of ram. A 7 gig project? That's a monster, mine are usually between 1 to 1.5 gigs.

Back