mac G4 soundcard

medhead

I'm new to computer-based recording after being involved with analogue equipment some 20 years ago. This is not an easy subject to get a frim grasp on. So... after alot of reading I went out and purchased a new mac G4 with a RAM upgrade to 1024. I would like to use native-based plug-ins and possibly some TDM cards for effects processing, but do I need a different soundcard than the stock card on my mac? I read that MOTU was recommending stock G3's and G4's for audio recording.

TDM and the toy sound input that comes with the G4 ???? Thats like buying a ferrari and using the fiat 500 engine. You'll need much of $$$$$ to work with TDM. native is another story.

You can use Protools free with the buildin sound input of your G4.

G4 soundcard

I know this isn't the most stimulating question, but I'm simply looking for help. If I'm wasting peoples' time, please direct me somewhere else. Would someone be willing to tell me what kind of soundcard I do need? As far as pro tools goes, I thought the HR mag article on "plug-ins" said that most effects used with pro-tools had to be purchased separately. Is that wrong? PLEASE HELLLLLLPPPPPP!!!!!! OK, that sounded desperate.

Ok, serious answer. If you want to go Protools, there are three options.

1. Protools free. you can use any soundcard (incl internal) except Digidesign. Limited to 8 tracks of audio.
2. Protools LE with toolbox. You get the audiomedia3 card with analog and spdif in/out. 24 bit and has been a standard for a long time. Limited to 24 tracks audio.
3. Protools LE with Digi001. You get 8 analog in, Adat interface and spdif in/out, with midi in/out. Costs about twice the toolbox.

If you only need two tracks at once for recording you should go Toolbox.

Plug-ins have to bought seperate. Their are some dynamics and simple delay plugins provided, but for serious audio you'll need others. Consider waves. They cost a bit, but are real pro.

Don't get excited about TDM. This will cost you minimum of $10.000 to start. This is for PROtools.

BTW you'll have to consider a couple of other programs for Mac.

Bias Peak. 2 track editor.
TC Spark. 2 track editor
Toast titanium. CD write program
Adaptec Jam. Audio CD write program (only audio)

Thanx Downside! It's the "old dog/new tricks" scenario here for me, and you've given me alot of serious information to consider. I appreciate your time and effort. Part of the enjoyment for me in any endeavor is the learning curve. This one is a little steep! You seem to prefer ProTools, but that option may be a little pricey for me - even considering the Ferrari analogy. What are your thoughts on Digital Performer, if any?

Last edited:
Back