Mac Audio Interface

edrock118

Hi, I'm having endless trouble trying to record on my mac. Initially I was just using the audio in jack for guitar, vocals with the microphone, but of course that's pretty rough. So in order to record drums and others with a microphone (I have a shure sm57, but am looking for a good vocals/all rounder) i'm trying to find a good audio interface. I had a Tascam 1641, which was completely terrible, would not play nice with the mac AT ALL. Then I tried a Apogee Duet, but found that quite irritating as it was always such a fiddle to plug in and fiddle with the limited physical controls. Excessive form over function, I found.

Anyway, I'm looking for something with 2 pre-amp inputs that works nicely with OSX Snow Leopard and Logic Pro if this exists! I'm completely lost in the swarths of options and would love some recommendations!

I don't use logic, but for protools on a macbook pro 10.6.8 I use a presonus firestudio mobile.
I love the sound and build quality, plus the drivers have been rock solid for me.

All things considered it's not that expensive either. Sounds like the chap for you. :)

If you want a reference, all Pete Gardiner's guitars are through it in my signature.

Focusrite stuff is excellent on the Mac. I can only vouch for the Saffire line, but I hear the Scarlett stuff is pretty great too.

I have a macbook I bought about 6 years ago. I use an MBox2 Mini, and a MOTU 896hd and both have worked fine for me. I'm not the biggest fan of the MOTU pots, but it does the job. The mbox hasn't given me any problems.

If you're looking for something really budgeted you could check out some of the Phonic interfaces (Phonic firefly 302). That unit only has one XLR and one 1/4 inch. You could also check out something like an Echo Audiofire 4. This one has 2 inputs that can be XLR or 1/4 inch.

I have an m-audio mobile pre hooked into my mac. Using logic pro 9 and an audio technica 2035 mic. I have no problems with it at all. I was pricing out this exact setup for my brother this weekend and the prices are down. I think the mobile pre is currently $149, the AT2035 is down from $249 to $149. Then you need Logic Pro (or you could use garage band but I havent tried it).

Back