Which MAC?

Marais

Which MACbook pro best for on site recording?

Hello,
After many recording sessions my Sony Vaio VGN AW which I admit is rather old caused us quite a scare during a live classical recording session in a church a few days ago.
Although using Reaper, apparently low in CPU demands compared to Audicity for instance, it was obvious that having pre-prepared about 30 tracks the RAM was not sufficient and we had to restart the computer many times and finally lo and behold at the last minute we recorded from a fresh session adding tracks each time manually and recording each piece separately.
There were two recording engineers including myself on the project.

I do all my editing and studio recording on my 2011 Imac on Logic Pro and have no problems.
So I think for out of studio on location projects the time has come to buy a Macbook Pro.

This is as I said only for on location.

I have a MAC Book Air, no way with ONE and only one USB port to hook up the Babyface Pro and other things.

Too slow.

So which Macbook do you recommend?

First criteria :
1 Speed and therefore RAM
(I can also purchase extra SDRAM for any machine.)
2 Three USB ports like the Sony would be nice
3 - A large screen I don't really care about, would be nice to have something as powerful as I need but light.

Thanks for all suggestions!

Last edited:
Honestly, there's not that much in it these days.
I have a 2015 2.5 i5 (i think?). I upgraded to that from 2011 2.3 i5.

Unless you're thinking of buying used and going back a few years, there's not much to choose from and it's hard to go wrong.
That said, I think all Macbook current macbook pros have 2 USB ports and soldered ram so that's two of your points taken care of. :p

I had upgraded the ram in my 2011 to 16gb, but with the new model I just bought it with 8. I know now I'm never going to need more than that in a laptop.

Incidentally, consider resale value when comparing prices. I got just over £600 for my 2011 macbook pro a few months ago.
It was in perfect condition, all the same.

Edit: You can use a USB hub but it makes sense to pick up a firewire interface if you're going mac.
It's a nice, fast, stable (on mac) bus just sitting there doing nothing.
Firewire's out of favour and compatible with thunderbolt, so used prices tend to be pretty good.

Back