M_BOX Problem!!

malo

oK I just bought the Mbox and Im having problems already, I'm having problems with the buffer size , when I'm recording thrugh the Mic input on the MBOx It's starts all nice but a couple of seconds later while Im recording stops and says that I have to increase the buffer size or eather the voice sounds all dirty so I dont know should I return It and get the firewire 410?? ( I still have time) after all the 410 now Is compatible with pro tools but It might have other problems too so I dont know..

my system is
AMD xp ATHLON 2600 , 1 gig memory , three hard drives of 80 gig each one, the operative sistem is WINDOS XP service pack one ...

Well I will be waiting, and If this post had already been posted please let me know and give me the link thanks.....

First, restart that PC everytime before you use Pro Tools. This often solves the problem you are describing.

Disconnect the computer from the internet, disable your virus software, and turn off any wireless networking equipment.

Double check that your computer is compatible with Pro Tools- http://www.digidesign.com/compato/

That's my best suggestion at the moment. You might also do well to post this question over at Digi's site where there are a LOT more PT users.

duc.digidesign.com

Good luck!
Chris

Chris Shaeffer said:
First, restart that PC everytime before you use Pro Tools. This often solves the problem you are describing.

Disconnect the computer from the internet, disable your virus software, and turn off any wireless networking equipment.

Double check that your computer is compatible with Pro Tools- http://www.digidesign.com/compato/
Chris, that sounds like an AWFUL lot of stuff to have to go through to get a premium-priced product like 'protools' going...

My suggestion malo --- get Tracktion, an M-Audio interface and start tracking vocals without all the nonsense.

ssscientist said:
Chris, that sounds like an AWFUL lot of stuff to have to go through to get a premium-priced product like 'protools' going...
FWIW, Pro Tools LE runs much smoother on my PC than Sonar 3 does (though neither are exactly speedy), so it's not a problem limited to Pro Tools alone.

There are literally hundreds of other audio/midi sequencers out there - only an arrogant piece of closed software made by an arrogant company would have the nerve to call itself 'protools'.

But the American public is not know for their vision. Not anymore.

Witness the WMD farce and the runup to the current war. And when it turned out there were no WMD the should-have-been public outcry never happened. I put 'protools' in the same category with the current administration - empty promises and very expensive hardware for a job that could be done for a fraction of the price.

ssscientist said:
And when it turned out there were no WMD the should-have-been public outcry never happened.

i don't want to turn this thread into a political debate, but you're kidding right? no outcry? you're bitching right now about it. the public bitches all the time about it. The Daily Show and other shows on Comedy Central make fun of it all the time, every sitcom has cracked a joke about WMDs at one time or another...hell even the acronym WMD was created from this all. There are websites dedicated to shutting down Bush...bumper stickers, public protesters, petitions, other countries pulling their troops out and condemning the US for what we did/are doing. An entire movie called "Farenheit 9/11" was made. We have some of our own troops who are refusing to fight and even one who turned on his own regiment and killed some of them. I'm sure the president gets tons of hate letters every day in the mail over the whole situation.
Maybe no one has formed a radical protest group to overthrough the current administration, but saying there has been no outcry from the public is just ludicrous. Visit the Cave and I'm sure you'll see tons of threads dedicated to it all.

anyway, back to the PT thing. If you hate pro tools so much, fine. Don't use it. But other people here do. You won't see me joining in on a question someone asked about Cool Edit Pro just to say how much I can't stand using the program. His question was about the buffer issue, not what program he should switch to.

ssscientist said:
For what 'protools' costs there should be no buffer issues.

there are no buffer issues....if you work with TDM
working with computer CPUs you need buffers. that's just how it works. every program is like that. you turn the buffers up or down as needed.

$450 for hardware and software isn't bad. 9 times out of 10 the issues people have have to do with the computer not being up to spec with what Digi tells them. I mean they friggin' lay out pretty much exactly what you need in a computer to run Pro Tools.

ssscientist said:
For what 'protools' costs there should be no buffer issues.

the buffer is there to HELP us! haha. Sometimes its good to have it large, sometimes good to have it low. Therefore, it gives us options....

..ha.

Cool. As much as I agree with you that PT is often NOT the right choice for home recording... most of the problems people run into with PT are computer related (as Benny mentioned).

-C

malo, what buffer size are you using? The solution may be as simple as increasing that. Also what version of PT are you using?

Your AMD 2600 is on the compatible list at the Digi site. You might want to visit that site if you haven't already and just go over the details.

Any native DAW is going to have buffer settings you need to adjust, depending on circumstances. This is not an issue with just PT, it applies to all native DAW's. So playing around with the buffer settings might solve it right there.

Dis anybody else key into the fact that he's running this on an ATHELON processor?????? hello.......... ?
chazba

The AMD Athlon processor he is using is approved by Digi. They do specify a "VIA KT266A or NVIDIA nForce chipset", but based on the Digi web site it looks like his processor should be fine.

lol@ the pro tools envy!

so much to a point that there is no Pro Tools LE forum on homerecording.com. its actually pretty funny.

the Digidesign Mbox Factory Bundle system is the third best selling recording interface on musiciansfriend.com and theres no PT LE forum on homerecording.com. pathetic.

Last edited:
Back