M-Audio Profire 2626 and Adobe Audition

dexterbydesign

Hi There,

I'm a super newby to the world of recording and I have a technical problem with the M-Audio Profire 2626. The interface is installed correctly and the control panel app works fine with me being able to receive a signal via the analog inputs. I just want to know... what do I have to do to get this into Adobe Audition? Everything I have tried so far has failed and I'm starting to get pissed off with it. I'm running Windows 7 if it helps at all.

The problem I'm having is almost definitely a problem with Adobe Audition when I try to record something the window seems to freeze (only it's not really freezing); it says that it is recording but it isn't moving. I can almost positively say it's not a problem with the interface as the control panel app registers a signal and providing I've got the routing set up properly, it should be working fine.

I think I may have read somewhere (I honestly can't find it now), that this problem occurs when the chipset on the FireWire expansion is NOT the Texas Instruments chipset.

Any help that anyone can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

What version of Audition do you have? The set up menus have changed over the years.

However, if you're running a firewire device on a chipset other than TI, that's almost certainly your problem. Even M Audio say it will likely cause problems.

The usual generic advice for this sort of problem is to make sure you've downloaded and installed the latest drivers from M Audio. Beyond that, it's hard to be specific without knowledge of which Audition version you're using.

Hi Bobbsy, thanks for the quick reply. I'm using audition 3.0 build 7283.0. It's very possible that the card is my problem but why would the computer even recognize the interface if the card wasn't correct?

Well, there's probably a world of difference between M Audio's own software receiving the control information from the interface and the system passing the volume of data required for multi track recording, including the necessary sync signals for wordclock.

Anyway, in Audition 3, the set up pages are on the Edit/Audio Hardware Setup menu. The first thing to do will be to set the Audio Driver section to "M Audio Firewire" or something similar. Make sure the interface is connected to your computer and switched on BEFORE you boot your computer--Firewire is fussy about switch on order. If you can see the M Audio drivers to select, that's a good start. Selecting this should give you a list of the M Audio inputs and outputs in the boxes at the bottom of the screen to allow you to set which you want as the default.

You'll have to do this separately both for the Edit View and the Mult Track View (selected by tabs at the top of the Audio Hardware Set up screen).

Once you have the 2626 set as the interface to use, accept the changes you made and leave the set up screen. Go to Multitrack view itself. In the panel to the left of each track is the options screen--the section identified with the right-facing arrow is the input to each track. Click it to get the drop down screen and select which of the M Audio inputs you want to go individually to each track.

The left-facing arrow is the output--probably defaulting to "Master" but, should you want, you can also feed the playback of each track to an individual M Audio output.

Hope some of this helps and it turns out NOT to be the Firewire interface!

I've used the OHCI software that presonus provides with it's hardware to determine that my Firewire card doesn't have the TI chipset. From all accounts, it would be best to get one with the TI chipset. The drivers are installed correctly and I can see the interface in Audition. I've selected a track to record to and the available profire input to record from and when I press record, the DAW freezes. Or it seems like it is freezing (it's not); It acts like it is recording but the recording progress doesn't seem to continue. Once I press stop, however, it hasn't recorded a single thing and just goes on like nothing has happened.

I'm hoping it's the TI chipset issue as it sounds like it would most likely be.

One last thing to examine would be that the bit depth and sample rates are set the same in the M Audio control panel and in the Audition controls.

Just thought you might like to know... I bought a SIIG 34mm Firewire Express Card for AU$45, which has the TI chipset. I didn't touch anything on my routing, etc. from last time and it worked straight up. It was obviously the card.

Thanks for your help Bobbsy!

Glad it worked and thanks for reporting back! I was wondering how you got on!

Happy recording!

Back