M-Audio Mobile pre USB review

MauiDino

Yo.

I purchased an M-Audio MobilePre USB sound capture card-in-a-box last week and I love it. It's not perfect, but it's not a perfect world.

THE #1 cool thing is that you get a 48 volt phantom powered preamp that connects to a laptop via USB and get's it's power there. NO WALLWART!!! Very nice when you're doin some mobile recording.
I can't elaborate on battery draw, but I have read that it's minimal. My battery died long ago and as most of already know.. you're better off pluggin in a laptop anyway.

One thing I did notice right away was the noise floor.... using the instrument input from the preout signal from a power amp induces a 60 cycle ground loop hum. It's not there on the mic inputs, only the preout from an amp into the instrument inputs. You see, the unit sets essentially above ground on a USB cable and the next best path is the signal path. There was also an audible hiss noise with the gain on full with nothing connected.
Fear not. There's a simple fix that I picked up years ago in the car stereo biz.
Simply connect a wire from the unit's chassis (a case screw on the back works) to the ground of an AC outlet. Usually this can be picked up on the screw that mounts the plate to the wall.

THERE IS NO NEED TO GO INSIDE THE OUTLET! STAY OUT OF THERE UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOIN AND SHUT DOWN POWER!!!!

OK that disclaimer said, the noise went COMPLETELY away by grounding it there and the noise floor dropped considerably overall.
Remember this trick for other devices that persist in humming at the outputs.

OK back to the box. I've used it to capture my 5 string bass with the direct line in and it performs admirably. I've set up two mics in the room my band reherses in, and got some great ambient sounds that are well balanced on their own. The levels are best set with headphones on and a software capture program open and armed for record. The two level-lights per input on the MobilePre are green for 0 db, and red for clip. Use the software's level indicator and adjust the outputs that way. Much easier.

I never went above halfway with the pots and got a good warm sound from two Behringer B-2 Pro's. ( a great mic for the price BTW)

The layout at first seems odd but makes sense once you use it. In fact, I now see what a good idea it was to put only one instrument input and a headphone out on the front. The back has another inst. input, line out for the monitors and two phantom powered XLR inputs. There's a button on the front to switch the phantom power on & off. The four inputs CAN be used at once and it will sum them into two out. It fits in most laptop bags with ease and the only connection is one USB cable which it comes supplied with.

I can arrive at rehersal, get set up to record in about 5-10 minutes, tune up and hit record! I save the songs and reherse at home later, AND I have some great tracks to give back to the guys on CD in no time. Sweet!

I'm running it on an old Gateway Solo 2500 with a P-II 334mhz and 128 mb RAM. These are bare minimum settings and the only downside are the dropouts on playback ONLY. Now and then the processor/RAM runs out of space and there's a slight hiccup as it catches back up. It sounds like a minor skip on a CD. No biggie. Upgrade my laptop and that's gone. I know because I use the box on my desktop 800 mhz machine and it rocks.

$150 - $170 is a small price to pay for the benefits that this little gem delivers. 48,khz000/16bit is the max but this sounds fine. Latency is no problem thanks to some great software controlled drivers. I can run a track In Vegas and lay down another with NO latency. Ya gotta love it, and I do.

If you're looking for a mobile solution for your laptop for under $200 look at M-Audio's MobilePre USB.
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=8eb1a9920df341303f81bca7ff458be3

I'm a musician with a day-job, and I want the most for my money. I'm very pleased with this unit.

m audio mobilke pre- Live 3 demo-pack

great t-shooting on the ground loop...thanx.

i just picked up this m-audio unit too, with live 3 (demo).

it wasn't plug n' play...but it's up and working ...at least recording. I'm comparing it to my simple 8 track mini disk. (just a home hobbyists- guitars and mics only)

<5hrs..and I've realized how to record to the Abelton/Live 3 demo package etc.. only 10 tracks maximum..which is ok for a free demo pack.
the M-Audio portion was great, and easy.

The Abelton LIVE-3 DEMOpack maybe the problem??
now, I can't seem to figure out how to "save" and burn a Cd???Last step and I'm stumpled and cornfused.

been thru the manual, which is ok, and the Abelton LIVE web page=poop.

1) Is there a "block out" on this demo software?

I have 13 days left to try out this unit....

if usb works for you thats peachy. but i dont like the usb protocol.
partucularly for the large volumes that audio needs.
just be aware of this fact. too many people seem to have problems with it.

M AUDIO USB & CD burning

I don't know anything about the difference.
All I know is that I want to hit record/playback and burn a cd.
I have 14 days left to decide on buying it.

the record/playback (multitrack sht) is working fine except for the
SAVE or burn a cd function. NERO burner says "unknown format"...

it seems to save it in .adl or some crap.

you see i tried Cakewalk years ago , about 6 yrs ago...and due to the lock ups and needing more, more mor, software, cards, harddrive , ram...

i went back to MiniDisc 8 track and a standalone burner.
it works great for me as a songwriter type.

but seeing the new USB and software package...seemed pretty slick.
I don't need 800 tracks and a full production facility software.
just a solo smuck laying down tracks in between being bitched at by the old lady and working a dead end job.

and it is pretty slick, except for the burner part?

How am I to save this Multitrack "song"?

Ableton Live3 demopack. 10 tracks.

Ok, I currently have a laptop computer and a small budget, so I was looking for an inexpensive way to do low end recording - just to play around with learning how to use the software, hardware, playing with mike settings, and ultimately, to get rough drafts of songs worked up. I had been wary based on several people saying that USB is problematic for some, but it seemed that most problems arose from multi-track scenerios, and I'm just doing one track at a time. After reading and reading, this track cinched it for me and I bought the MobilePre.

I can't use it.

I get pops and scretches, regardless of whether I'm recording or playing back. It's absolutely unuseable. Is there something I've done wrong? Here's the deets:

Dell Insperion laptop
Celeron 2.6G Processor
XP Home edition
256 MB Ram
40 GB hard drive
SM-57 mike / monster XLR cable

The guy at Guitar Center is guessing that I have a bad unit, and he's going to swap a new one for me, but I'm concerned that it's not the unit, but the MobilePre product itself. Any thoughts?

i had a mobilepre about a year and a half ago. i bought it from a member here. i had nothing but problems with it--the driver namely--i would be recording in soundforge and then my machine would BlueScreen and reboot.

being a systems engineer I analyzed the crashdump and found that every time it pointed to the driver. after many go-rounds with m-audio's technical support (who i had previously had a high opinion of) jumping through many banal hoops, beta drivers, you name it, i finally got fed up with it, and sold it to another member here (having stated clearly my reasons for "dislike" and being upfront about my problems with it). i figured it didn't like my laptop (Dell D800 w/USB2.0). that member apparently had the same problems i had with it, and i think he ended up sending it to m-audio for service.

anyway, i was very happy with the sound i got from it--very clean, especially for the price. i made a pretty good recording of a thunderstorm with it and a VERY widely spaced pair of MXL 603's (40ft spread).........but the driver problem *sucked*.

maybe the mobilepre doesn't like dells? couldn't tell ya. honestly, i'm looking at getting the Firewire 410 to replace it sometime down the road.

wade

Mobile PreUSB- M AUdio pack with DELTA sht-pack2 versus Yamaha MD-8

you guys may make my 14 return into a 7 day return.

i was the same as Monsoon...wanted to try this "pulg n play" (bllsht)..
computer recording....I only record one track at a time(maybe two max), songwriting and arranging...no production to require a fhkn 9Gigillion Rambusses....but the potential to do anything and everything for $147.!! hmm
Record & Mixdown w/effects..have I found Utopia?

hell, I got the M-audio box..USB is fast! everythings fast, newer and better..fhkng Utopia.
it came with Multitrack software and some Midi sht FREE software pack!-cool !!...a complete fhkng studio for $147!!!...I have a computer with CD-an entire demo production facility for $147!! whoohooofhkngA!!!

I was soon sneeking the gear in past my wife and my haven of space.. :)
fhklng Utopia...my blood was flowing as it hadn't for years!!! FHKNG UTOPIAN FULL PRODUCTION SOUND RECORDING FACILITY FOR $147 with FREE DEMO SOFTWARE!!!!

Then it began..thesoftware wasn't plug'n'play like the books one page directions said?
I fought for a few hours..then it strated recording..
I spoke into a mic and tracked, Track1,..2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,Track10...damn!! 10 tracks, USB, $147!! 10 tracks..!!!!
It was uncomfortable chaning to this new computer recording with a mouse and not pressing the play/record buttons.

"my how times have changed since my first $1200 4 track cassette T144 in 1979." I thought to myself.

Soon the rush subsided..it was time to BURN A CD! the final hardware test..final system test..I thought, damn, this little plastic M-Audio interface box may replace this whole pile of "junk"!!! damn, I felt Life after Life had come.

the loading of software(instructions sucked)
thru to record!!! and then playback!! then thru my speakers!!..this 22sec snipit..of me speaking into each of themaximum 10tracks..was done!1
$147!!!! and I like M-Audio they made my DMP3 Pre-Amp which improved my old MD8 tremendously.

Burn/Baby/Burn.....
It was time to Burn to CD? yes...the final stage of demo making..the CD-Burning-Mixdown...so the masses in my car can have a listen to my newest tracks. and Carl who shares a cube with me at work.

This software bundle has it all DELTA 2 Demo M-AUDIO MOBILE PRE USB (for the search engine)...yeah, right. Now I find..Delta 2Demo isn't Utopia..it's a demo..I need to buy $300 Delta Full Version 3..to have Utopia. Delta doesn't allow saving anything!! damn thoise software guys for being so tricky.

So here I'm stuck.. TO RETURN or NOT RETURN....
this Delta shtpack2 "demo" version software (with 250 keystroke password.)
Their webpage sucks too..IMO..Ableton yah.
I couldn't even find info. with their own search! Chat room sucked too...no response for days. Ya- zatz rikght Za ver nok zaf out nonz reszponzink.

Anyway I think the demo pack is "bugged"
so you can't SAVE in any form/extension other than .abl or some demosht..making it worthless and requiring you to $$buy the REAL package for $400 for Ableton Delta Live 3 then you'll have Utopia!!
..requiring a $1000 computer upgrade to me, oh wait you NEED A FHKNG $$Soundcard!!geez...then you'll have Utopia!! oh you only have how much Ram? what kind of Ram?? $$$$$$$$$$$$..........

this computer recording sounds more ongoing in $$ than the fhkng Mic/Rack gear group and Monitor change outs???

and then you guys start posting computer recording terminolgy
-cracks, lockups, pop's, distortion.. comments...
"..that must be fun in the middle of a song...daammmnnn..lock-up-scary....some just say USB SUCKS!!!

so I sit staring, looking at my stuff and
then I look at my acoustic guitar and scratch-sheet of paper and my Yamaha MD-8 track (with track bouncing).....

and realize.......my MD-8 never locked up in the middle of a song recording...
over the past 7 years...not one single problem...hmmm.

let's see where's that receipt and return box?
maybe next year.

MD8 w/ DMP3 versus Mobile Pre USB with 10tracks yah zatz rot yaz

Hey, Coolcat. Sounds like your problem was that the software is just a demo version, but that your unit is working just fine. I wish that were my problem. I already have Cakewalk's Sonar 3 Studio Edition installed, and that's what I'm using. So, I haven't even opened the envelope with all those "extra" software items.

Maybe the problem is interaction with Sonar 3?

M-AUDIO Mobile PreUSB- Delta Live "demo"

yes, the USB hookup and M-Audio Pre-USB portion was enjoyable.

software demo- Delta Live
if I take a test drive car for a ride they don't usually remove one of the tires?

so yeah, it appears my problems are with the software. unless i missed something, I would be glad to hear it was my inexp. and I could burn a CDR.
Then I could record a tune and burn and judge for myself on selling my old system and analog gear.

being a demanding consumer (don't have money to squander)...

I want a dependable, simple setup.
One page for Multitracking and one page for Mixdown/mastering - CD-R.

my interest is mainly in playing/writing...I don't want ot be interrupd with software lock-ups and such.
No one refunds software..so again, thats a bitch.

Why did I even try the pc computer recording....more tracks man!!
can you dig it.

Do you know of any software this unit works with that is FREE and simple?

Moble pre USB

I had no end of problems with my unit, went back a couple of times to be repaired came back with the same problem. Did not like my laptop, Fujitsu C2210, usb 2.0. Works ok now, with some tweaks. Had the same problem with AC hum only when recording, solved it by recording only with batteries. Sounds good and records well. Still a little flacky and processer hungry (USB).

Coolcat said, "just a solo smuck laying down tracks in between being bitched at by the old lady and working a dead end job."

Ha, ha, ha, - I love that line; you should use it in a song.

Hissterical

Mauidino,
Thanks for addressing this problem. I have the hiss but no the hum. Your fix seems to be only for the hum. I wrote to M-Audio and they seem perplexed by this whole thing.
They did mention something about older firmware and such. I dunno. I just don't want to have to send my box out to be repaired if at all possible. For now I am using the built in noisegate in my Tascam 788 to compensate for that annoying hiss. It's still there but at least it doesn't run in between vocals.
If you have anything else to share on this topic I'd be much obliged.

I've had one for a year and it's served it's purpose well. No problems at all.

Didn't think you could use four inputs at once though, I thought it was only two?

Another great thing is that it's now compatible with Pro Tools M-Powered 7. Nice. :cool:

the tortoise

Yep, the worst thing of the M-Audio mobile pre are the drivers.
I use it both with a pc & a mac. It pops in both.
In mac i could record some vocals with a "low" latency with the correct settings.
But in pc it get worst. It has more latency and Asio drivers work bad on it.
((the asio drivers worked for me just for the output settings, giving low latency for midi playing, but leaving the preamps without use)) Otherwise when i configure the inputs to the asio drivers, it all sounds like shit=distortion, and changing the buffer sice dosen t change anything, i guess it is something about the asio drivers that don t work with the mobile pre))
looking foward to a N.I. Komplete Audio.

Yep, the worst thing of the M-Audio mobile pre are the drivers.
I use it both with a pc & a mac. It pops in both.
In mac i could record some vocals with a "low" latency with the correct settings.
But in pc it get worst. It has more latency and Asio drivers work bad on it.
((the asio drivers worked for me just for the output settings, giving low latency for midi playing, but leaving the preamps without use)) Otherwise when i configure the inputs to the asio drivers, it all sounds like shit=distortion, and changing the buffer sice dosen t change anything, i guess it is something about the asio drivers that don t work with the mobile pre))
looking foward to a N.I. Komplete Audio.

I am curious how you found this thread? It is 11 years in the past man.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Back