M-Audio Interfaces: Firewire Solo, MobilePre USB, or Ozone?

chiggachu

I am looking into a $100-$150 audio interface to begin recording some of my music onto my PC.

I want to record my acoustic guitar thru a pickup (1/4") and vocals through an XLR mic (probably a SPB1 when I get around to it). Software will be Cubase SE3.

As far as I can tell, all three of these M-audio interfaces will do the trick. They all cost about the same, and my computer will support each one perfectly. The only obvious difference is the Ozone has a keyboard and some other MIDI stuff, but I don't know jack crap about MIDI so it is only useful for future consideration.

Obviously, I'm not looking to spend too much money ($400 total gear + software), I just want to make some music that doesn't sound like it was made in a tin can and a cheap PC mic.

Anyone have one or more of these devices, or would like to suggest another one that fits my needs?

The Tascam US-122 should also be on your list. It's about $170 on e-bay and has decent preamps, plus MIDI.

I would also reconsider recording the acoustic guitar direct. Just use that B1 mic when you get it...much better sound quality, imo.

Posting the same question in more than one forum is called 'crossposting' and it's not a good thing to do. Pick the forum that suits your question and post once.

Since you say you don't know jack about midi and it would only be useful for future consideration, this would be my recommendation. It's got no midi ports but you could always add one of these or these at a later time.

And while you're resting, here are links to two good articles on midi basics - part one and part two.

I posted in the newbies forum because I later realized that it's more appropriate, so just let this thread die and refer to the other one.

Thanks for the links. The presonus looks perfect, but almost too simple for the price tag. I will search for opinions on this later.

Back