M-Audio Fast Track Ultra -- issues/bad reviews?

fiddler4

I'm looking for a new interface with 4 mic inputs and decent preamps for the $300 range, and it seems like the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra ($350 at Sweetwater) is the interface to get. I record Irish and American trad, fiddle/flute/guitar/keyboard etc, and have Windows 7 64-bit. I also saw the new $200 Tascam US-600, though it's not released yet -- though I can't believe it could have more inputs and a lower price and be of comparable quality.

I hesitate to order the FT Ultra because while many reviews are very positive on this forum and on sales websites (particularly Sweetwater), many other reviews (ex. on Amazon and MusiciansFriend) highlight serious issues like that it breaks quickly or just doesn't work out of the box, or has bad drivers, etc. Basically, seems like if it works, it's high-quality; if it doesn't work for you, you're out of luck. Can anyone comment on whether the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra is a smart decision?

Thanks for your advice.

I have the Fast Track Pro as well as a Tascam US-122L, just to have options. They both work well, and are pretty comparable sonically. If you also use your interface as a doorstop, I can see it breaking quickly. But I tend to treat my gear like I treat my Grandmother, so it will outlast Granny hopefully.
As a side note, I have never updated the drivers, or used Asio4All either. I just used what came on the installation CD. So far, knock wood, it's been trouble free. Any problems have been me and how I set it up in the 'Devices' menu, and definitely not the software.
Ask here about Windows 7 and 64 bit, and you may get a few warnings. But I won't have experience with that, so all I can tell you is one of my old Dell laptops with XP works fine with a Fast Track pro, and a second laptop (still with XP) works with a Tascam interface, no problems.

I have the Fast Track Pro as well as a Tascam US-122L, just to have options. They both work well, and are pretty comparable sonically. If you also use your interface as a doorstop, I can see it breaking quickly. But I tend to treat my gear like I treat my Grandmother, so it will outlast Granny hopefully.
As a side note, I have never updated the drivers, or used Asio4All either. I just used what came on the installation CD. So far, knock wood, it's been trouble free. Any problems have been me and how I set it up in the 'Devices' menu, and definitely not the software.
Ask here about Windows 7 and 64 bit, and you may get a few warnings. But I won't have experience with that, so all I can tell you is one of my old Dell laptops with XP works fine with a Fast Track pro, and a second laptop (still with XP) works with a Tascam interface, no problems.

I have one too. ^^^^^^^ he said everything i would. worked out of the box and only used the driver that came with it. I'd recomend it.

Back