M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8R : sound issues (probably very basic)

Lickity~Split

Hello Forum,

First of all, thanks to anyone who answers my questions. I believe them to be pretty basic, but have checked user guides, sought advice from "sound engineers", have searched this forum, and even called up some sales people from different stores. Here's the problem...

I am attempting to record my acoustic drum set. I have 7 SM57s and and a good bass mic. I decided not to go the mixer into the interface route, because I would like to be able to work with the individual stems after recording. So, I was told the way to go would be to get an eight input interface, which would give me control of each mic.

So, I ordered a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8r. It has eight inputs and eight outputs and here's where I run into trouble. I have all mics hooked up, #1 to 8.The outputs on the rear are accordingly numbered one through eight. I was told outputs 1 and 2 serve as the "outputs" for the entire board. So, I expected to hear sound when I plugged my monitor speakers into outputs one and two. The only thing I could hear was the #1 and 2 mics. If I plugged my outputs to say, #1 and #3, then I only have sound from mics one and three!

I am confused. :confused: Do I need some weird eight-headed snake cable to plug into each one of those outputs, just so I can hear the entire mix? Am I overlooking something? I was told I could save some bucks, compared to a new one at about $400-$500.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks,
Lickity~Split

If you've installed the correct drivers for your system it should also have installed the M-Audio Control Panel software. It's not something you would normally use on a regular basis, but it's necessary for certain things. Also if it was installed, it isn't always in an obvious spot on Windows machines.

Here's a screenshot of the manual:

monitor.jpg

Here's the problem...I am attempting to record my acoustic drum set. I have 7 SM57s and and a good bass mic. I decided not to go the mixer into the interface route, because I would like to be able to work with the individual stems after recording. So, I was told the way to go would be to get an eight input interface, which would give me control of each mic.

You were given very solid advice and your choice of mics is fantastic! What ya got for the kick?

So, I ordered a M-Audio Fast Track Ultra 8r.

Looks like a nice unit.

It has eight inputs and eight outputs and here's where I run into trouble. I have all mics hooked up, #1 to 8.

Double check that you have your mics plugged in to the mic input and not the outputs. Make sure that each selector button is set to "Mic" and not "Instrument".

The outputs on the rear are accordingly numbered one through eight. I was told outputs 1 and 2 serve as the "outputs" for the entire board. So, I expected to hear sound when I plugged my monitor speakers into outputs one and two.

That is correct. You will need to have powered monitors and the volume control is located on the front of your panel. My Tascam US 16x8 is set up the same way.

The only thing I could hear was the #1 and 2 mics. If I plugged my outputs to say, #1 and #3, then I only have sound from mics one and three!

This is where you are loosing me a little. Just so you know, according to your manual, the two inputs on the front of your unit, are for instruments only. When you say "If I plugged my outputs to say, #1 and #3", what outputs are you referring to?

Also, are you using XLR to XLR cables between your mic and your inputs? XLRs have 3 pins on each end.

Did these come with the unit or did you buy them new.

Sorry about all the questions, but everything must be ruled out in order to proceed to the next proper step.

I am confused. :confused: Do I need some weird eight-headed snake cable

No, you do not need a snake but they are really nice to keep the cable clutter to a min and it also helps prevent tripping over loose cables.

to plug into each one of those outputs, just so I can hear the entire mix?

You should not have anything plugged into any output except #1 and #2 that go to your monitors.

Am I overlooking something? I was told I could save some bucks, compared to a new one at about $400-$500.

OK, this is what you need to do. Make sure you unit is turned off. Your last sentence above is a bad sign but lets keep our fingers crossed. ;-)

1. Unplug the cables from the back of your unit on the 1 and 2 OUTPUTS. We are going to use your headphones to test the signal path through your unit first, and we don't need the mons yet. So take them out.

2. Plug each mic into the INPUTS on the back of your unit. Make sure the switch/button is set to "Mics". Set your gain control to the 12 to 1 o'clock position.

3. Turn the headset volume control to the lowest setting and plug in your headphones. Turn your unit on and put on your headphones. Slowly turn up the volume to the 12 o'clock position. Can you hear any buzzing, static or sound of any kind?

4. Start softly playing each part of the kit you have mic'ed and keep an eye on the LEDs on the front panel to see if they are coming on or flickering. Can you hear any audio from the mics via your headphones?

By following these steps, you should be getting a signal. If not, and since you bought it used, you may have some internal issues or a few bad xlr cables. Lets hope is was a simple thing like using the wrong jacks or having the wrong switch setting. Please let me know what the answers are to everyone of my questions. This will help me gather the information we will need to proceed to step two.

Back