m audio delta 1010 not recording.

Isidore kanerus

Hi guys, I have m audio delta 1010 that I have been for the past 2 or 3 years perfectly until recently it stopped recording. I use cubase 7 and it can be seen in the DAW but if you try to record nothing happens, I have noticed the 2 midi LEDs are always on of which they should not be always on, what could be problem? Please help.

Did it just stop working, or had you made a change? For example, had you performed a system upgrade, or installed a new program?

Have you tried to restore to a point where it was going ok?

Have you tried pulling it out and reseating it?

Which caps?
No upgrades where made, I just stopped using it for about a week coz I also have m track 8 which I use. When I wanted to record my band that's when I tried using it and just couldn't record keeping the 2 midi in- out LEDs on.
I will try pulling it out and in then see what happens , I guess more suggestions will do the trick.

The 'caps' idea that garww has thrown out are the electrolytic capacitors inside the interface which do coupling and de-coupling duties.
A few years ago a motherboard range was released with FAULTY capacitors in it. Ever since, various bods have leapt upon ANY electronics problem with the durge "Re cap..Recap..."

In reality, unless the equipment is around 30 years old it is VERY unlikely to have faulty capacitors and this is especially true of good quality gear which M-Audio was/is. Even in valve (tube) guitar amps re capping is not necessary for most amps under 20 years and they get bloody hot! Of course! Any component CAN fail at any time but very few actually do!

Is the AI the 1010 biggy? That's with the PCI card and umbilical to the breakout box or the 1010lt, all on the MOBO?

I can't really help further but I HAVE Cubase (ess 6) and always found it a trial. I would try a simpler (to setup) DAW. Reaper is free to try but also look at a demo of MAGIX Samplitude. Even Audacity should prove out the record function.

I also recall that the M-A driver disc has a 'driver reset' function (I have several Delta 2496 cards running in W7) Try pulling the PCI part and THEN run the PC sans card. Run the drivers then replace card.

Dave.

I wouldn't say it is a problem or issue, but its documented thing

Documented how and by whom? I have been involved in electronics servicing for some 55 years and whilst VERY early electros' had a shortish life (still a good ten years) by the 80s or so they were very reliable.

I have seen many posts urging people to re cap mixers for example. My reply is always for them to check the device for LF response and distortion. Does it come up to spec' or expectations for the class/ age of the gear? If so, leave the bloody thing alone!

Of course, few home dabblers have either the kit or the nouce to spec check such gear and so I say again "If it ain't fekkin' broke!!!"

Dave.

What I've read over the years is that the 1010 shortens cap life from heat. Forced Air Heating of the Winter may have helped dry out the electrolytic.

We have a lot of dry air in the Arizona Desert and it don't do my caps any good. At any rate, what symptoms appear, seem to be fixed with a cap replacement ? All the talk I remembered seemed to pop up with a search, 'cept for the Boz Miller cap replacement.

Some mentioned there was a lifetime warranty, but why bother : )

Are to too lazy to search repair delta 1010, or what ?

"Are to too lazy to search repair delta 1010, or what "
Of course not but you made a general, knee-jerk reaction I have read times before, 're-cap'. Had you said at the start something like.."The M-Audio 1010 interface is KOWN to suffer very early onset capacitor failure" and .."Here is a link that deals with the matter" I would have been more impressed.

But plain English does not seem to be your way Mr G.

Dave.

You saw it as scuttlebutt and made a judgment call.

What I said;
"Try searching for cap replacement repair & such. Some gear just doesn't age well".

No, it's not my job to babysit. The poster & you can figure it out, or, not.

""Try searching for cap replacement repair & such. Some gear just doesn't age well".

Neither do some people. That is just stating the obvious. If you had specific information about the M-A product why did you not say so?

Is 'scuttlebutt' a synonym for SNAFU?

Dave.

Anyhow, Whatever and buggeration! All this is not helping Isidore.

Let us cease this bickering before it gets really unpleasant and ask (her?) "Any developments?

Dave.

I don't have a 1010 and don't know. So, I can only suggest one do a search for the scuttlebutt

No, scuttlebutt is what servicemen talk about when they is goin' somewhere, but don't know where : ) Mostly the Navies. SNAFU is the Cluster-*uck that already happened.

maybe;
The American flotilla leaving Japanese waters is rife with scuttlebutt and candidly recounting previous SNAFUs. Maybe

Attachments

• scuttle.jpg
    scuttle.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1
  • scuttl2.jpg
    scuttl2.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 1
Dave, I don't believe it but, ' , I just finished a toob political vid where they used "scuttlebutt". Maybe, its trending : )

hhmm, your midi lights are on, but you're not recording midi. Check your preference settings. It's been a while since I've used Reaper, just trying to remember. Reaper is an xlnt DAW. Make sure your track settings are set right. I think with the 1010 and reaper it would be an ASIO input. Check your settings, channel assignments and all that . More often than not, when an update is added, the settings on your DAW goes bonkers. I now use Samplitude and Studio Pro 7. With both of these I've set up a "Template" for recording. This Template I use use has 4 midi tracks and 24 audio tracks. I can always ad more tracks if needed. There's no way to tell what's going on without seeing what you've got going on. But it sounds like it could be a problem with your set-up. I've sometimes gone back to a previous recording, see if I can record on that recording, checked what everything was set at and then used those setting for a new recording. Sounds complicated, good luck.

Back