M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 Mic Preamp Bundle

spaceman

Hi,

I've got a pretty kick-ass PC and I would like to invest in an interface and monitors to replace my tape set-up.

I play synth (Korg Wavestation) and acoustic/electric guitar and I use a couple of stomp-boxes. I'll proberly be buying a sampler in the future.

I think I'll need 4 I/O max but my brother plays drums and I hope to record him in the future - how many inputs would I require for drums?

What do you think of the "M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 Mic Preamp Bundle"? Any experiences?

Cheers,

the audiophile is a excellent sound card, but the only flaw is the amount of inputs. If your only going to be recording a few inputs at a time, you cant go wrong.

However, if your going to be recording your brother playing drums in the future, then you might need more than the audiophile (although it is possible to record with 2 mics).

I use 5 mics when i record drums, one for the kick, 2 over heads, one for snare and one for toms, although i know people who use less, and some who use more. It all depends on what sound you going for. Like i said, you can record a drum kit with 2 mics, although it wouldnt sound the best, it would still be a 'recording'.

Hope that helps...

Have a look at the Delta 44. It's about $50 more than the audiophile, but with 4 inputs it's real good for drums.
Put a Yamaha MG 12/4 mixer in front of it and you're set for around $350

Thanks guys.

I cant afford a mixer atm so I think I'm going to buy a Delta 44 and get a cheap Audio-buddy off ebay for £30 quid and use that. It'll come to the £130 I was going to spend to get the bundle.

Btw whats the difference between the delta 44 and 66?

I have the audiophile, and it's very nice if it's what you need. BTW, regarding drums, I spent a long time recording drums on eight channels, two mics on the snare, that kind of thing, in a tiny crappy room. Later I had the opportunity to record in a bigger, better room, but my mics were all gone, I just had a LDC and an SM58. So I did it, choosing mic position carefully, and those drums sound better than the eight channel drums in the crappy room. So find yourself a good room, mic carefully, and two channels might be fine for you. Four channels is more ideal though, it's nice to mic the kick. Eight channels is fun.

Thanks for the advice guys.

My plan is to stick with the 2 mics for the time-being and when I can afford a mixer I'll sell the audio-buddy on ebay.

For the long-term I think spending an extra £20 on the delta 44 is a better solution because I know once I get into this I'll be recording my brothers band.

M-audio

spaceman said:
Hi,

I've got a pretty kick-ass PC and I would like to invest in an interface and monitors to replace my tape set-up.

I play synth (Korg Wavestation) and acoustic/electric guitar and I use a couple of stomp-boxes. I'll proberly be buying a sampler in the future.

I think I'll need 4 I/O max but my brother plays drums and I hope to record him in the future - how many inputs would I require for drums?

What do you think of the "M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 Mic Preamp Bundle"? Any experiences?

Cheers,
I'm thinking of getting the audiophile also. i record vocals only. is it good for that...how many mics can plug to this...and i was looking at pic of it..where does the mic plug into....rca jacks?? is this the one you guys talking about
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41784&item=7319902368&rd=1

Last edited:
The m Audio cards are pretty good.

Some general thoughts about buying entry level gear for what it's worth:

When you start out recording I understand that you just want to get to it straight away. Many of us spend what little money we have on the equipment that will allow us to start recording straight away. Fair enough, that's what I did. If I could do it again though I'd do things slightly diffrerently. If I could start again I would make sure that in the main I bought gear that would be of use further down the road no matter to what level of quality I upgraded.

You say you'll be wanting to record drums in the not too distant future? Well that'll require a fair few inputs as has been said. 4 is an absolute minimum and tbh I wouldn't want to be restricted to just 4 for recording drums. So why not save up a bit and get a Delta 1010LT? I know it's a fair bit more but in the long run you'll be saving on the price of the 2x input card.

The audiobuddy is OK but when you get into recording seriously you'll probably not be too satisfied with the sound quality. The M Audio DMP-3 is an excellent pre. and really isn't much more. There's better out there but any studio will find a use for a couple of channels of good clean gain. I know I'll always have mine (unless it breaks).

If you bide your time and buy sensibly you'll save yourself a lot of cash in the long run. Even the cheap stuff costs money.

Yeah, Kevin makes some good points. I should point out that the only thing I use the audiophile for is transferring data from my hard-disc recorder to my computer using the spdif input. I haven't even tried using the other inputs for audio multi-tracking. For recording I use a MOTU 24i, which is overkill cause you don't need 24 tracks, but you might want to look at saving up for something that will allow you more than four tracks.

I disagree that four tracks is the minimum (or even restricting) for recording drums, because with careful mic placement you can get them sounding great with two or four (I'll have to post my recent tracks when they're done), but you have more flexibility if you have at least eight.

I'll go against the grain and say yes, the audiophile 2496 is a good sound card to start out with. sure you can only record 2 tracks simultaneously, but that's more than enough for a beginner; plus, the resale value of these cards is pretty high. I bought my 2496 for $150can and sold it for $100 so I could buy a 1010lt for $250can (a great deal!) second-hand.

If you're recording drums you could always make do with a mixer and send it 2-channel stereo into the soundcard... kinda ghetto, but if you set it up properly it should do fine for a home demo.

mobile usb pre

spaceman said:
Yeah, well you need a pre-amp for the mics so you'll have to get a audio-buddy as well as the Audiophile 24/96 soundcard. I was going to buy this bundle:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/3999

The one you linked to was the USB version, I'd stay clear if I was you and go for PCI.
i was under the impressiono the original thread was for this product...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7319902368&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
because one of the thread said i would need the audiobuddy but it says this comes with a pre-amp and phantom power. am i correct? :( is it me or are these the unit above and this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41784&item=7318793383&tc=photo
one in the same!!! price difference makes me think so...2426 diff. from the first one i listed and if so whats the diff.???

Last edited:
corban said:
I disagree that four tracks is the minimum (or even restricting) for recording drums, because with careful mic placement you can get them sounding great with two or four (I'll have to post my recent tracks when they're done), but you have more flexibility if you have at least eight.

You're right, i've been tracking drums all day today with just 4 mics funnily enough. You never know when Nicko Mcbrain might give you a call though and I reckon you'd need more than 4 mics on his kit. :D

Like you said it's about flexibility.

questions???

jINXBEATZ said:
i was under the impressiono the original thread was for this product...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7319902368&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1
because one of the thread said i would need the audiobuddy but it says this comes with a pre-amp and phantom power. am i correct? :( is it me or are these the unit above and this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41784&item=7318793383&tc=photo
one in the same!!! price difference makes me think so...2426 diff. from the first one i listed and if so whats the diff.???
anyone??? can anyone answer this question

what kind of vocals do you do? i'm going to be recording some ambient soundscapes with some beats, a.l.a cloudhead. if fit maybe we can do something together.

i would love to do some...unfortunatly not really me doing vocals just artist of mine i usually produce..just wanna record at home now....

Back